1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klitschko vs. Haye, anybody into this HWT title fight?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mrbio, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

David Haye? Who the hell is that? People still box anymore? This fight will be won by whoever the money, not the legally bet money but the money underneath the table that fixes that shit, is on. Boxing can be fun to watch, in a barbaric sense, but it's irrelevant. Until Mayweather finds his sack and fights Paquaio then no one gives a shit about any of it. Well, a couple of people might, but the mainstream won't even acknowledge it. The WWE, which is far less popular than it has been, and is also just as fixed as most of boxing is, is still far and away more relevant. Boxing killed itself. Heck, the other sports leagues in the midst of labor disagreements should take note of its fall.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

If it's on "free" HBO, I MIGHT check it out. If it's PPV, zippy chance.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Used to be the heavyweight division would drive boxing. Ali. Frazier. Foreman. Tyson. Holyfield. Holmes. Now its ... meh. After Pacquiao and Mayweather, where are the engaging personalities such as those listed?

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

Interesting interpretation of the sport FH, you are on target. But this fight is not fixed, this is one of the true fights where it will be real.

Oh my...is that Dick Enberg in the house?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Of course I exagerated for effect, but the basic point still stands. Corruption and greed killed boxing and now very few people give a shit, especially about more than two or three boxers. This fight is so far off the radar even NORAD doesn't care. And other sports should pay attention.

6. mrbio

mrbio Member

The Klitschkos and Haye are engaging personalities. Klitschkos are like Federer, very classy gentleman but absolute killers in the ring. There has been no colorful American to antagonize them but Haye, from England, certainly has annoyed the Klitschkos. He even had t shirts made up holding their severed heads. He has talked all kinds of ghetto trash about what he will do to them. It's the perfect good guy vs. bad guy set up, this is now a huge grudge fight with bad blood and tension. But America has largely ignored the Klitschko brothers and have not promoted Haye so this event is under the radar here in the US. But this event has all the ingredients to be a historic event. Yes, it's on HBO on Sat. (not PPV)

7. mrbio

mrbio Member

Definitely not bro. That was a Don King set up garbage fight. This is the real deal, two guys who hate each other, two great athletes in top condition, not two overweight hwts who knew they were going to be cheated out of much of their paychecks by their unscrupulous promoter and didn't care to give even a 50% effort.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If Dick Enberg were here he'd grab you by the lapels and shake you very hard for comparing this fight to Ali/Frazier. Very very hard indeed.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It is free on HBO. Live and early Saturday morning, so it will make for a very strange boxing after dark. At least I guess its live.

And I wasn't into the fight until I saw the Max Kellerman HBO show where he interviews both of them. The Haye guy, he's a little umm something. They started talking smack and things got intense, then it got weird. Haye said he had a boner because he thought Klitschko was going to take a swing at him.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Haye has simultaneously been ducking the fight in private but talking lots of game in public, at least according to Dan Rafael's reporting on ESPN.com.

11. mrbio

mrbio Member

MC: I was at the press conf three days before that fight at MSG. Grant was so nervous and shaky and could barely talk. His words were almost incoherent. It was clear he had no self-belief and was totally overwhelmed by Lewis and the moment. HBO wanted to market and promote Grant as the next big thing but Lewis, one of the top 3 greatest of all time, was in his prime then and took care of business.

12. mrbio

mrbio Member

Jay that was HBO's Face Off. That was absolutely fantastic. Kellerman does a great job with those, they are reminiscent of the old Ali and Frazier appearances on Mike Douglas and Dick Cavett.

Yes, Haye is totally spooked by Klitschko and it was quite clear on that episode of Face Off.

Draft saved Draft deleted