1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Do we lose more MLS guys to Europe? I know that Dempsey wants out ASAP. As an aside, the only funny thing that I ever heard from "Red Bull Nation," the team sponsored supporters group was them singing to Dempsey "Stuck in the MLS" to the tune of "Born in the USA"

Anyone else look to be leaving? Reis? Landon?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Come on now! Landon's mettle was tested and it came back as tin foil.

I can see a guy like Ching wanting to go over. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rangers kit. Josh Wolff was as good as gone, until a visa issue came up. I can see another attempt made for him in the off-season. Eddie Johnson is another one but who knows really.

3. Are you kidding me? It's totally valid to rate the "local league fixtures." Brian Ching going against RSL is like going against a paper defense if you compare it to what Peter Crouch or Lampard go against in the EPL. How about aTriple-A pitcher mowing down Triple-A batters. Bring him to the majors? Sure, but how many cannot hack it against big-league hitters. Same thing going on with US players. If you're good enough, you're not playing in MLS. Why do these guys like McBride and Landon, who are talented, bail out at the first given opportunity. Most of them are exposed once they cross the pond BTW.
    Now if you're talking, like in Beasley's case, about being buried on the bench at Reading, then sure, he should be back here playing fulltime. But I bet he comes back a better play after being exposed to that environment.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Germany 4, Costa Rica 2
    Germany 1, Poland 0
    Germany 3, Ecuador 0
    Germany 2, Sweden 0
    Germany 1, Argentina 1 (Germany wins on PKs)
    Italy 2, Germany 0
    Germany 3, Portugal 1

Only once at the World Cup did Germany allow more than one goal in regulation. Germany's defense clamped down on Argentina, Portugal, Sweden and Ecuador. Not many three goal games necessary.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yeah, all that great preparation really helped Lampard in the World Cup.
    He was awesome. ???

6. Webster

Beasely is at Man City, not Reading. He started this Monday, the first time that he has been healthy since he got there.

Bobby Convey is at Reading, and has knee issues which have kept him on the bench.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Right, Man City. My mistake. Convey is on the left at Reading.

McBride has been in Europe for a few years now playing against Lampard and against the same teams that Lampard is playing against.

Beasley has also been in Europe since about 2002. First he got better and slowly he slid down to the point where he looked like crap in Germany. Now, he's buried on the bench.

RSL may not be Newcastle but they aren't that far away. There are some shit teams in the EPL that would have a hard time beating a team as poor as RSL, Watford comes to mind.

Landon and Clint "headcase" Mathis are the only Americans I can think of that "bailed" out of Europe. Landon did it because he couldn't handle the pressure and Mathis did it because he's fucking insane.

Go over the list of Americans in Europe (www.yanks-abroad.com) and tell me that the US roster isn't comprised of players playing against the "top" competition.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Make it worth their while? How? We're just now getting to the point where Soccer House doesn't have to schedule Mexico in L.A. just to pay the bills.

9. TrooperBari

Point of order, Il Pastore.

Beas is on loan at Man City from PSV. He put in a solid 70 minutes or so Monday against Boro ... left to a good ovation, too. Still working through an ankle injury, though.

Convey -- the YA at Reading -- is out with a knee injury.

10. TrooperBari

Wolff's contract is up. He had a deal done with Derby, but his work permit application was turned down (despite having recommendations from Arena, MLS and Premiership managers). MLS turned down a $5mil offer from Real Sociedad for EJ.

Landycakes isn't going anywhere, and Reis doesn't have the caps. There have been multiple reports of Euro scouts at New England and D.C. matches, so those are probably the best bets. Dempsey is all but gone, and Twellman and Joseph might not be far behind.

11. Webster

$5 million for EJ? Wow -- he just doesn't impress me.

I forgot about Joseph -- I could see him in England.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

MLS needs to change its policy soon. They're pissing off guys like Johnson and Dempsey, holding them back from career opportunities.

Why not open their league up to the loan system? That way, they can loan out players, those guys can find out if they are good enough, and MLS gets an improved player. And God forbid they take a big-name loan of a dude who wants to see what playing in the US is like, while someone else pays his salary.

Draft saved Draft deleted