1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kiss today goodbye ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What website doesn't time and date stamp every story?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I've run across a few, although I can't recall specifics. I'm also 90.12 per cent certain I've run across stories a few years back on BigNationalSportsWebsite (or two) that had no easily discernible evidence of when the thing was posted (or updated).

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, that's just too damn much work. Might have to hire another copy editor.

Or not "furlough" all of them...

4. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Bingo. We have four people that handle all that for web and print, but two (one daytime, one nighttime) that deal with probably 80-90 percent of the copy. The other two are their backups for days off, etc.

When breaking stories are coming in at print deadline, which seems to happen an awful lot lately, one person has to do everything all at once.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

How long does it take to change "today" to "Friday?" Also, you could just post as is and then update online version after finishing your pages.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You ask a good question. I'll get back to you Friday.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger Friday.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Always hated using today. Really hated going into quotes and changing todays, yesterdays and tomorrows. Just write in the attribution when they said it and be done with it.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

There's truth in that. If you have a full-time online editor, that's one thing. If it's one of these places where the copy desk just uploads content to the web at the end of the night, it's less likely. Just extra time devoted to details at the end of a shift that is already too long to begin with.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How long does it take to look through every story for style changes?

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

...and who's paying for it?

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

"Today" only exists in our print product. Online, it's day of the week, as should be. There's a Matt Lauer joke here somewhere, but can't bring myself to even try.

Draft saved Draft deleted