1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kiss today goodbye ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Aug 16, 2013.

1. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

My shop announced this week that "today" is no longer to be used in copy except in direct quotes. Instead, we are to use the appropriate day of the week.

The move makes sense from the standpoint that most items are posted online the day before they appear in print, but it's going to take some getting used to when writing advances. Kickoff is no longer at 2 p.m. today. Kickoff is now 2 p.m. Saturday.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Good. Everyone should do this. My shop never will.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Makes sense in the Web age. I can remember a FB friend of mine getting all up in arms because she read a story that had gone viral about Six Flags in Texas having a day for Muslims on what was supposed to be the anniversary of 9/11. Unfortunately, the story just said "Sunday" and no one had bothered to notice that the date stamp was Sept. 3, meaning that the event was Sept. 4.

Where I work, which is pretty much Web-only, we simply don't use any phrases that require knowing what the date referenced is -- next week, last year, etc. At least we're not supposed to.

4. It's so hard to say goodbye to Yesterday.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But who's going to be the catcher?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Nicely played.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Why not have different styles for online and print? You can do things differently online than print. Unfortunately, my shop doesn't realize that.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

At most places I've been, just the opposite was true. We were encouraged to change the day of the week to "today", although when editing fast, that often didn't get done.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't even have to click the link to laugh at that one. Great pull.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first paper I worked at did this and I really liked it.

11. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Same policy at our shop. As both a reader and a writer, I hate it. Every story should have a time and a date stamp. As a reader, my habit is to look at the time and date stamp, and read the story from that perspective. I'm probably in the minority, but whatever.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Our style is today in print, day of the week for online. And I think that's the right approach.

Draft saved Draft deleted