1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KISS drummer says he had breast cancer ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I knew you Canuckleheads wouldn't let me down.

Somewhere on the web -- I can't find it at the moment -- is a pre-Ezrin version of This Beat Goes On/Switchin' to Glide that is a testament to what a great producer can do. I also found this: a DVD all about that one (two) damn song(s):

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/40160/kings-anatomy-of-a-one-hit-wonder-the/

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wow, I might look for that video. Would bring back plenty of memories for a guy like me who remembers seeing the Kings in those days.

Garth Brooks does a good - if faithful - version of "Hard Luck Woman" on the KISS My Ass tribute album. That would have been a great record for Rod Stewart to record back in the day.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I used to really love KISS Alive until I found out it was heavily overdubbed.

I saw them last week and they still put on a powerhouse live show and I'm not just talking about the pyro and all that shit. None of the original members had great chops, in my opinion (my thoughts on Criss are elsewhere in this thread), but Ace Frehley had a huge influence on rock guitar in the 70s. Paul Stanley is a decent singer.

Their music from their heyday still stands up for the most part. It's not as dated as a lot of the other shit from that era. The problem I have with it is the shitty production, the only major records from that era that sound worse are Springsteen's first two albums.

4. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

"Hotter Than Hell" is probably the worst-sounding album, production wise, ever produced. Which is too bad, because there are some very good tunes on there (Parasite, Watchin' You).

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They did "Parasite" when I saw them, hadn't heard it in ages.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Aren't most live albums heavily overdubbed? "Frampton Comes Alive" certainly was. And Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" had something like 157 studios used in post-production. I can understand wanting to fix a few bugs here or there, as long as the album sounds like what the band would have sounded like when you saw them.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Metallica reserved studio time to work on their live albums. The solo on "No Leaf Clover" from S & M is a combination of the different solos from both nights.

On Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won, Jimmy Page sometimes combined solos and performances from two different nights in the same song.

Slayer's Live Decade of Aggression has a note that says they didn't do a single overdub for the album.

It's why I prefer bootlegs. I want a performance, not something that's so prettied up as to be nearly indistinguishable from the studio track.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It's not so much merging two solos or whatever, it's going in and rerecording or adding crowd noise to a song you never played live. (Rod Stewart did this on his Absolutely Live album years ago.)

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Which is why Rush sucks.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Saw them over the weekend and Paul Stanley has held up rather well. His vocals were pretty much reminiscent of the 70s heydays, and don't show a noticeable wear and tear of other older lead singers I've seen, like Jagger and Daltrey.

And bash them all you want, but there's not many bands who have their bass player sing a song from the light standard 50 feet above the stage.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

"Everyone knows pterodactyls can't stand the screech of a guitar!"

I can only assume that this goes for breast cancer. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted