1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KISS drummer says he had breast cancer ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Scared straight, indeed.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Richard Roundtree, who portrayed Shaft, also had breast cancer.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Breast cancer is a bad mother..

SHUT YER MOUTH!

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Just to clear up a couple of misconceptions:

- Criss is cancer free. He has already whipped it.
    - He was a shitty drummer.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

None of the members of Kiss are/were great musicians. I remember Gene Simmons saying that when Bruce Kulick joined the band, they had to spend time pounding the "musician shit" out of him. I also believe that he said, regarding "Destroyer," that Bob Ezrin put the band through "musical boot camp," they were so incompetent.

Fortunately, much of the best rock 'n' roll does not require great musicianship. In many ways, Simmons is right that a good rock 'n' roll player needs some of the "musician shit" beat out of him.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Maybe, but he did write "Beth," probably the band's best pop ballad (although he probably had tons of production help).

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No probably about it -- Bob Ezrin was all over that one. OK, quick Bob Ezrin trivia -- what was the first album he produced after Pink Floyd's "The Wall"? (I'm counting on you Canuckleheads to get this one.)

On a side note, yesterday I heard Ace Frehley's version of Sweet's "Fox on the Run," from his new album. I believe most of the production help was to make him sound conscious.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

A former SportsJournalists.commer informed me ree ree reecently that Beth was written for Rod Stewart, who passed on it. Love that factoid.

And really, the fact nobody is denying Kiss suck as musicians should end that damn HOF debate once and for all. Not asking 'em to be a bunch of Joe Satrianis or Neil Pearts, but shit.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ezrin's first post Wall project: The Kings Are Here. I'm switching to glide.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well aren't I an idiot. *slinks away*

Thanks for the correction, noob!!!

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'm not so sure about this one.

KISS went broke in the late 80s and there was probably a lot of pressure on the band to record and tour during the time Carr was undergoing treatment for his illness. I really don't think they had the luxury to wait around for Carr to heal.

KISS, as in the business entity, probably wasn't in any sort of position to pay large medical bills at that point. The business manager probably cut him loose from the band's insurance payroll to shore up the books, but Gene and Paul, according to former manager Bill Aucion, did continue paying for his treatment with their individual song-writing royalties.

Despite this though they still treated Eric like shit in the final months of his life. Mainly they never reassured him regarding his status with the band should he get better. This caused undue stress on him and is thought to have accelerated his decline.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Me either. That sounds particularly deadly.

Draft saved Draft deleted