1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kirk Gibson can't be bothered to attend his son's HS graduation (SIAP)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Kevin Costner fucking his wife... :) #urbanlegend

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's nothing like this board when people get on their high horse telling others how they should live their lives.

I went to my daughter's hs graduation last week, and I wouldn't call it a complete waste of time, but it may have been close. Since the graduating class was so big, the names were called every three seconds, or less. Loved the scores of rude parents/family who screamed, blew horns and whistles when their baby's name was called. Real classy, and it overlapped the next name being called. Sucks for those families, I guess.

I was there when my daughter needed help with her multiplication tables in elementary school, or a middle school project, or her college applications. High school graduation ceremony was a small blip for her, and perhaps it was the same for the Gibson family. There were a hundred things and events about high school that were more important to me and my daughter than high school graduation ceremony. I remember so many vivid events from my high school days, but cannot remember a thing about graduation and I certainly wouldn't have cared if my dad worked through it.

Too funny watching people cast judgment on the Gibson family patriarch.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You should be proud your daughter didn't get knocked up and get an abortion in the school nurse's office. Isn't that what they do in California now?

I guess people can start ditching their kids' weddings, since their likely to be married at least three times nowadays. You can catch one later on.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Please...they give our daughters Depo-Provera shots with their kindergarten inoculations along with a Paint By Numbers version of the "Kama Sutra." Don't insult us.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Exactly!

6. Dick Whitman

For some reason, weddings seem higher on the hierarchy than high school graduation. All rituals are not created equal.

That said, I've skipped plenty of wedding ceremonies but then went to the reception.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How high can the high horse go?

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I missed so many Christmas pageants and talent shows, there was no way I was going to miss my kid's high school graduation. The day was a pain in the ass, but it was wonderful nonetheless.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Christina Aguilera agrees:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/20/christina-aguilera-snubs-dying-grandparents-estranged-uncle_n_1611927.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

10. Dick Whitman

I missed my grandfather's funeral. My brother and I both did. We were in college at the time, together, and I think I was just entering finals during my senior year. I wasn't very close to him, and it was a few states away. My parents essentially made the decision for us. My brother has said outright that he regrets it, and we should have gone. I'm not racked with regret or anything, but I suppose we probably should have gone, in hindsight.

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Your dead grandfather won't care, and your parents apparently didn't, either.

Your live daughter, to whom you would presumably be closer than your grandfather, might care if you don't show up at her high school graduation, though.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She got the abortion in the nurse's office in the eleventh grade, and I was right there with her, such a proud moment. Then I wrote a note to excuse her the rest of the day and the whole family went to breakfast at IHOP.

Draft saved Draft deleted