1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kirk Gibson can't be bothered to attend his son's HS graduation (SIAP)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at my oldest's kindergarten graduation a few weeks ago that was held in the middle of the day during the week and after the "ceremony" we were getting our cake and apple juice and one of the parents asked the teacher if every kid had a parent there. It seemed like the majority of the kids had both parents there.

She said, "Only one didn't, but his family has a lot of issues..."

I wanted to say, "Maybe one of the issues was not wanting to take off work to attend a kindergarten graduation."

I have been assured that there is not another one until sixth grade.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My mom could not take off from work for my high school graduation and it really wasn't a big deal because it really wasn't a momentous occasion in my life. It was nice that she attended other graduations, but again for me it really wasn't a big deal.

I have had to attend both preschool and kindergarten graduations for my daughter. It's a joke and a waste of time. But of course I attended out of peer pressure.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I will probably be more proud of my daughter when she steps onto the bus for the first time than when she walks across the stage in high school.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I am going to my daughter's preschool "graduation" on Friday. I also am paying $100 for the "fees" associated with the graduation. If there aren't fireworks, monster trucks and a special appearance by Up With People at this thing, I'm going to be a little miffed.

5. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely...

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you don't want to go to you kid's high school graduation, I'm guessing you're a rotten person. But some have something better to do like chugging a beer or watching reality shows.

7. Mizzougrad96

But you'll be there for both...

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That seems pretty far afield from managing a Major League Baseball team, no?

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

If the team cannot get by without you for one game, then you must be a pretty shitty manager.

10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Doesn't he have Alan Trammel and Don Baylor on his staff, too? It isn't like they'd have to forfeit the game because they can't figure out how to turn in a lineup card or make a pitching change.

Obviously Gibson has the right to do what he thinks is best, but given his 50-year history of being a complete asshole, there's no way he's going to get the benefit of the doubt on something like this.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Did Cal Ripken ever have to miss something like this to keep the streak alive?

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Oh, yes. [/knockonwood]

Draft saved Draft deleted