1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kings 3/15

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by D-Backs Hack, Mar 15, 2009.

1. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Anyone watching this?

It's about an hour into the premiere where I am, and it's holding my interest as much as anything on network TV as of late, especially NBC.

This could be a worthy successor to ER in the Thursday 10 p.m. slot next season.

Oh, wait ...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It is interesting. Don't know what direction they'll take it. Might be interesting in kind of an alternate-universe kind of thing, would also like to see it use the setting to explore larger themes in contrast to a democracy and being a citizen. But so far, I'm in. Nice to see them use the Jazz at Lincoln Center space for their parliament or whatever its supposed to be.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Kings is actually a retelling of the story of King Saul (the king who united ancient Israel) and David from the books of Samuel (originally known as 1 Kings and 2 Kings, with the books we know as the two books of Kings being then known as 3 Kings and 4 Kings) in the Old Testament. I think it's picking up at 1 Samuel 16, but I'm not sure how much of the Biblical source material was actually used and how much might have been reordered for dramatic effect.

In the Bible, Goliath was actually from the Philistine city of Gath, which I thought (along with the main protagonist's name: David Shepherd, who slew a Goliath tank from Gath with his bazooka, a modern sling) was a screaming giveaway as to the story being told.

Looks very good.

4. DanOregon

I knew that. But a bazooka? Would have been more impressed if he took it out with a firecracker or a sticky bomb.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

Actually, now that I think about it he did throw some sort of grenade after missing with the bazooka. I stand corrected, by myself.

Somebody leaked the script on DocStoc, so I'll doublecheck.

EDIT: Yep, homemade grenade on that wrench he borrowed. Then he takes a second shot with the Javelin missile launcher, which hits. Decide for yourself which is the rock in the sling.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Did they promote this show at all other than a few commercials I saw in the last couple of days? I'd never heard of it before Friday.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

First ads I saw were in the XIII miniseries in the same basic time slot a month ago.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I missed the first 10 minutes of this and hit record from that point. Will I be OK picking it up from there, or should I wait to see the first 10 minutes online tomorrow before proceeding?

9. DanOregon

No major plot points in the first 10 min that aren't covered later - kid watching dedication of new capital at home, mom tells the kid and his brother to shut up because their dad died fighting to make that day happen. King gives a speech, the kid helps a passerby with some car trouble - the guy he helps out turns out to be the King's religious advisor.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've seen a decent number of commercials for it. Saw an extended advertisement before a movie a while back, too.

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Anybody still watching this? It had a big build-up but doesn't seem to have any buzz at all now, not even network promos.

Which is weird, because NBC appears to have invested a ton of money in this show. And it's not bad at all, certainly watchable. It's one of those high-minded, could-have-been-great shows that doesn't quite get there.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

NBC not promoting a show? That never happens! [/fuck you peacock for fucking Freaks & Geeks]

Draft saved Draft deleted