1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King of the Hill Series Finale

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

No, it is, but they still pretty much neglected it. They didn't kill it, to their credit, but it was pretty obvious the way they downplayed it compared to the other animation block shows that they weren't exactly doing handsprings over still running it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's explicitly stated, but Highland certainly appears to be in Texas -- although I could buy the Albuquerque theory too.

3. Mystery Meat II

The Wikipedia entry says Highland is a fictional town in Texas, though it cites no sources.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not arguing that it wasn't the most promoted show, but shifting schedules? Seems like it was always on Sunday nights. They bounced it around from 7:30 to 8:30 a few times, but the night was the same from day one to the last episode, IIRC.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

It was neglected, especially during the NFL season when Sunday's late game on Fox would run past 7:30 on the East coast. I seem to remember a bunch of times when Fox wouldn't even show KOTH some weeks, instead going straight to the Simpsons.

6. Mystery Meat II

It also got preempted by football a lot, I remember, and I could swear on a stack of AP Stylebooks that it got moved to the midweek at least once, possibly twice.

They also had one season, the 10th, that existed solely because FOX had a backlog of episodes that got preempted. They wanted to cancel then, but the show got good ratings and hung around a while longer.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is if Fox wants to disrespect me to the tune of whatever they paid Mikie Judge over the course of KOTH's 12-year run, I'm down with that.
    I'll even do dirty stuff.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

This thread is missing a reference to "a narrow urethra."

Best episode: Dale's long-lost dad is a rodeo cowboy ... but it turns out to be the Gay Rodeo.
    Second best: Bobby goes out for Tom Landry Middle School football, and announces before he leaves the house for practice: "Somebody's gonna have to record my cookin' shows."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He said on Stern a million years ago that he made more during KOTH's first season than MTV paid him for Beavis and Butthead's entire run.

10. Hank's prosthetic butt, Santa Anna's leg and the lawnmower test group were pretty good.

11. Mystery Meat II

Other classics:

Hank discovers he was born in New York City; Cotton and his friends try to attack Cuba
    Hank and Bobby dance with dogs
    Bobby protests draining the quarry as part of a history class project, which Hank, Bill and Dale oppose because then they'll find Boomhauer's car Sally
    The guys become firefighters and burn the station down

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The episode with the State Boggle Championships was pretty good.

Hank tried to motivate Peggy like his old football coach did, "Loser! You're a Loser!"

Draft saved Draft deleted