1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King of the Hill Series Finale

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, Sep 13, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I hate to see this show go. It's been one of my favorites since it began -- hard to believe it's been 13 or however many years. But at least Adult Swim picked it up.

2. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

You planning to off me?

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It was probably time, though it's funny how they let the older characters age and die while keeping Bobby and his friend in middle school. You'd think there'd be some pretty good story arcs coming out of freshman year, and while high school graduation as the end of the line is cliche, it would have been nice to see Bobby mature (think Radar on M*A*S*H).

4. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

BOBBY: "What are you talking about? What are you talking about?"

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This show is all about quality writing. It will be missed. My hope is that after so many years off the air, DVD sales go through the roof and a new fan base is born that drives the suits crazy enough to bring it back. But we all know that will never happen. It just doesn't . . . OH WAIT. Peter Griffin says otherwise.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I actually liked the episode. If you live in Texas, you get the satire (there actually ARE competitive meat judging teams here) ... In fact, I'd wager you really had to live in Texas to fully "get" the entire show. There were little jokes in almost every episode that only a Texan would really get.

RIP, KOTH

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The meat judging doesn't surprise me so much as the idea there'd be decent-sized crowds for it. In the grand scheme, it's a minor quibble.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

No, there wouldn't be crowds for it. That was part of the joke. This might come as a shock, but cartoons aren't renowned for their accuracy. ;)

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Haven't seen all of the episodes, and never really got into it until adult swim picked it up.

But the episode where Cotton dies, top to bottom, is one of the funniest 30 minutes of television I've ever seen.

I love the show's sweet, understated nature. And it's clever as hell.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Cleveland Show is the only new show that has already been renewed for a second season. That's how you know Seth MacFarlane has serious power at Fox. Also, the production time of the episodes factors in as well.

King of the Hill clearly was hurt by Fox's desire to promote the hell out of anything Simpson's-related or MacFarlane-related. I definitely forgot King of the Hill was on years ago.

I read something that said Fox kept it on because it was extremely inexpensive to produce and was already in syndication, which means it was turning a really nice profit.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Absolutely. Far better than "Family Guy". Far better.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure comparing it to Family Guy is fair. Both shows are great, but the shows are so different.

I haven't watched KOTH regularly in at least five years, but I always thought it was a sweet family comedy.

My favorite episode was when Bobby fell in love with the head that Luann was using for beauty school. That and any episode with Cotton Hill were my favorites.

Draft saved Draft deleted