1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King of Kong II The Rise of Billy Mitchell

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 10, 2010.

1. fossywriter8 likes this.
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the best documentaries I have ever seen.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Tremendous documentary.

And I'd have to see some pretty solid proof before I would believe he really set those records.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm biased, but here is a good story that explains, through the previous record-holder, how one would prove you have the record:

http://bit.ly/aBdn7Y

Verifying that he actually set the new record was more time-consuming than winning the game. After Dr. Chien finished the game, adrenaline pumping, he started the lengthy checklist process required for verification.

He had already videotaped the inside of the machine before the game (to show it had the standard arcade game parts), and had videotaped the actual game. But there was a 29-bullet-point list of other things that had to be captured on tape to confirm a record. It took nine hours to convert the video to DVD and another week before it was received and verified by Twin Galaxies, the organization tasked with verifying all video game records.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You can't put one over on Twin Galaxies. They've got that sh*t on lockdown, like the TSA.

Loved that movie, and the director made Mitchell out to be a supreme d*ck.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Twin Galaxies release noted that Mitchell quit after breaking the record by a mere 1,600 points because "I am Billy Mitchell." When Dr. Chien broke the old record, Steve Wiebe (the other guy in King of Kong) called to congratulate him, but there was nary a word from Mitchell. So, yeah, the guy probably is a supreme dick.

For kicks, you all should check out the Twin Galaxies site. It keeps records on EVERYTHING, including the newly set record for hula hoop on Wii Fit Plus. I think there's one guy who holds 57 different records.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen. You can't write Billy Mitchell is you tried.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

9. Seven year thread bump....
    Twin Galaxies makes a monumental decision and strips 35-year old record.

https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-player-gets-world-record-removed-after-3-1822511777

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

King of Kong is one of the best documentaries you will ever see. It's the epitome of the human condition.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted