1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King George the 43rd: "I'm Above The Law"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

First the Vice President isn't part of the executive branch. Now, the President is exempt from FOIA. Makes you yearn for the days of Nixon, huh?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/22/AR2007082202441.html?hpid=moreheadlines

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh great. Another America-hating pansie. [/hondo and yawn]

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

That article made me sick.
    Yet it's pretty much in line with everything the white house has done since W took office, though.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm pretty sure the George Bush Presidential Library could be built on a bookshelf.

And that there'd be plenty of room left for knicknacks and what not.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and many a black magic-marker will go to its dishonorable death, in its establishment . . .

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

"The Bush administration argued in court papers this week that the White House Office of Administration is not subject to the Freedom of Information Act ..."

jesus christ. and there's still pathetic imbeciles out there who defend actions such as these.

7. Amoeboid congressional Democrats do nothing..

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sen. Dodd, it's about time to suck all the air out of the MF room.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

U.S. Constitution < George W. Bush

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'll say it again. It's remarkable to fathom.

George W. Bush, this pathetic, ridiculous man who should have been laughed off the moment he stepped on the political stage, commanded the unconditional adoration and obedience of millions, had sycophants ignoring reality and twisting logic into a pretzels to defend, and left his political opposition quivering in his presence.

George W. Bush.

Historians and psychologists will write freakin' volumes analyzing how this happened.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm starting to wonder what we're going to do come January of 2009 when Bush simply refuses to leave office, having appointed himself king in the best interests of the people.

Seriously. These people simply do not believe they are subject to follow any of the laws, documents or principles used to found this nation.

It makes you sort of wonder at what point would people be outraged enough to unite in their disgust. If he suspended elections? If we invaded Canada? If Cheney murdered Nancy Pelosi with a rusty dagger from the Civil War and left her body to decay in the Rose Garden, then claimed immunity?

As absurd as all that sounds, where is the line? At what point does a yawning nation stop shrugging its shoulders as this gang of treasonous thugs does whatever it pleases?

I'm starting to believe too that the worst is yet to come.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can It Happen Here?

by Maureen Farrell

In 1935, Sinclair Lewis penned the cautionary tale, It Can’t Happen Here, chronicling the fictional rise of Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip, who becomes President against the protests of Franklin D. Roosevelt and America’s saner citizens.

A charismatic Senator who claims to champion the common man, Windrip is in the pocket of big business (i.e. Corpos), is favored by religious extremists, and though he talks of freedom and prosperity for all, he eventually becomes the ultimate crony capitalist. Boosted by Hearst newspapers (the FOX News of its day), he neuters both Congress and the Supreme Court, before stripping people of their liberties and installing a fascist dictatorship.

One might argue, of course, that since It Can’t Happen Here was written nearly seven decades ago and America has yet to succumb to fascism, the book is the product of a novelist's runaway imagination, with an interesting yet less than probable theme. But then again, the same might have been said of George Orwell's 1984, before most realized that the book is brilliantly prescient -- and merely off by a couple decades.

http://www.buzzflash.com/farrell/04/09/far04030.html

Draft saved Draft deleted