1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

How do you celebrate the King holiday?

2. By working.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Me, too. I do, however, try to take a few minutes out of the day to reflect on what he meant to the country and how far we've progressed in large part because of his influence. It ain't much, but I think we see that influence every day and it's a good idea to take notice of it once in a while.

EDIT: When I say, "It ain't much," I'm referring to what I do to "celebrate" the holiday, not the amount of influence Dr. King had. Upon rereading my post, I thought that could be misconstrued.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are we the only profession without this day off? Ugh.

Not that I feel we are entitled to it. I think its dumb to have the day off for the sake of having the day off. This bothers me more with giving kids the day off from school.

They should be in school learning about Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights protest not sitting at home watching the Real World. This steams me. In high school, they made us actually learn about Civil Rights extensively on MLK Day. Still, there were a few morons in the class who had no idea what "Separate But Equal" was etc.

It's a pretty good opportunity to break away from normal, boring routines and learn about our country's history.

Ok. End of rant.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Same goes for Labor Day and Memorial Day.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Gannett gave me six labor days this year.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I freed my (desk) slaves.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

From from 1984 to 2000, it was celebrated as Lee-Jackson-King Day in Virginia.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've got no problem with an MLK Day. But why did George Washington have to start sharing with Abe?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Closeness of their birth dates. I remember having school off for Abe's day and Lincoln's day. (Damn, am I THAT old?)

Draft saved Draft deleted