1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"King" - a special 2-hr. show Sunday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Blitz, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

The previews look cool for "King" - a special on MLK that airs Sunday at 7 p.m. (Central) on CNN or History Channel

I plan to fuse my viewing of NFC/AFC title games with this one.
    The Civil Rights movement had so many more "heroic" efforts than today's or yesterday's sports world.

Anybody else planning to watch it? or TiVo it?

Has it ever aired before?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Between the AFC championship and the Inauguration show on Sunday, my viewing menu is full. Caught the King miniseries on cable last week with Paul Winfield. It was good, not as good as I remembered, but good nonetheless.
    Learned one thing though, U2 was wrong. I always thought King was shot in the morning "Early morning, April 4, shots ring out, in the Memphis sky..." but he was shot in the evening.
    Highly recommend a visit to the Civil Rights museum that is now housed at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis. As soon as you see it, you know.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bono was called on it just about as soon as the song came out, but refuses to correct it, because he says "early morning" sounds better than "early evening" or some similar phrase.

Now that he's a journalist for the New York Times, he better learn the rule: you always issue corrections, no matter how dumb they make you feel. Better to feel dumb for a few minutes than stay wrong forever.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A quick bump to the last post: Today, in the "We Are One" concert, Bono DID correct the verse to "early evening."

Apparently a couple weeks in professional journalism has straightened him out. ;)

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

it's on again in 20 minutes. looks interesting.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Watched the entire special tonight and was impressed.

And yes, DanO, I've been to the C.Rights Museum several times and recommend it.
    I wish the coach of every college team that makes a road trip to play football or basketball or baseball or whatever in Memphis would take their team to the museum.
    It's a must-see, but too many, I think, have never visited.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

what an awesome documentary. very powerful. i learned a lot about the man that i didn't know. if they replay it tomorrow i'd suggest checking it out.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Very powerful documentary. I remember it all as if it were yesterday. The civil rights museum in Memphis will blow you away with what it has to offer.
    Incidentally, one of the most cherrished possessions in my family is an autographed copy of Strive toward freedom.

Draft saved Draft deleted