1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindred's frightening look at the future of sportwriting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Oh, I agree that most kids don't pick up a newspaper. And most don't care about reading, period. But are they all video-game crazed and seemingly as dorky as Kid Leonsis? I doubt it. I know TONS of kids and adults my age (26) who have subscriptions to SI. It's still a pretty big deal, IMO.

I do agree we need to change the foundation of sports coverage. People care about sports and will read about it if it interests them, for sure. And the principle of the article is vital: don't waster readers' time.

2. VJ

VJ Member

Seriously? The last article he wrote wasn't the freaking Bible, it was some suggestions. I don't think he was implying that if you don't follow all of them that you're a failure as a journalist. Let it go and appreciate his insight.

Sorry to say that his words carry a bit more weight than someone who takes down stats and interviews kids for a living.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Criminals just lick their chops seeing the deepening idiocracy that the U.S. is becoming.

What morons these kids are.

4. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

The younger generation isn't reading. If they are reading, it's on the Web, not in print.

You're in denial if you don't realize that.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You could have said that 20 years ago. And 40 years ago.

That's not new.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Exactly. If the world had to depend on teens and young adults, we'd have been fucked a long time ago. People grow up.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

But now people are growing up reading the news for free on their phone, and paying their bill to Sprint.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wrong.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I taught a magazine-writing class a couple of years ago and in the get-to-know-you stage asked a couple of kids what magazines they read. One insolent bitch with a bunch of piercings that would have made a nice set of flatware said: "I don't read magazines. They cost money." It was stunning that a journalism class would have barely two or three magazine readers.

That said, my older, now-college-aged daughter has maintained subscriptions to Time and the New Yorker since age 12. She has read 10 Margaret Atwood novels for fun ... and I couldn't find fun in a page of them. She, of course, has no interest in journalism as field of study.

I dunno. Leonis is the leader of an owner-driven death-of-newspapers-all-hail-the-blogs movement. No news there.

o-<

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And don't forget, you also have to shoot video of the game, and go back and edit in in your spare (unpaid) time.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely not new.

Not untrue, either.

A broad, classical education as a basis for living/enjoying an informed, adult life?

Went by the boards, some forty years ago.

Makes things easier in a number of ways for those who have it . . . but, then, we have to endure the fact that the idiots who don't have it are allowed to vote.

12. As much as I disliked Kindred lecturing everyone on here about how they could have the career of their dreams if they just WORKED HARDER!!!, I think I dislike the prep beat martyrdom which rears its head every so often even more.

Draft saved Draft deleted