1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindred on SI's Vick cover story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Dec 13, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting perspective on how Scott Price wrote the Michael Vick cover story, and the challenges of showing objectivity when you detest the subject:

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/the-imperative-of-the-job-takes-over-in-the-most-difficult-of-assignments/

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You just wish dogs could talk. If they could, I'd like to know what the dogs think of the son of a...

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The good thing about Price's story is that it does provide a specific reason to believe Vick has changed. I have no interest in reading anything that asks you to believe simply because Vick's a great player again.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Most of the Kindred column is OK. But the Blitzen stuff at the top is just silly. I guess this childhood experience obviously makes Scott Price distinctly different from other reporters, the vast majority of whom loathed dogs during childhood.

Good point: Price deftly handled a tough subject.

Dumb point: Because of Blitzen, the subject was especially difficult.

"Price's position on dogs?" Oh my.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

agree 100 percent with frank that the 'blitzen' lead doesn't work; it's a colossal stretch. how many philly reporters covering vick daily are or were once dog owners and lovers? the whole 'oh, my, how did scott price put 'blitzen' out of his mind to write such an even-handed piece?' not dave's best approach.

but far be it for me to ever read anything by mr. kindred and not finish without thinking that he really nailed it somewhere along the way. and he did it again with the ending of this essay, which i dare say beautifully sums up the sentiments of many in 'SportsJournalists.com nation.' after applauding price for a job well done, dave writes:

'That said, I confess that Vick's words leave me cold. Like his lightning-bolt performances, they do nothing for me. There is no fun in watching him, no thrill, nothing. It's as if the laundry, an Eagles jersey, number 7, as empty as its owner's soul, moved by itself. Whatever the 7 did, I saw it and didn't care. That's the oddest feeling, to just not give a damn. Michael Vick is dead to me.'

talk about a chilling 'kicker-graph' worthy of applause...

6. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

The idea was to show how a writer submerges his biases when reporting a controversial subject. So I thought it was necessary to ask Price his history with dogs ("history" being a better choice than "position"). Maybe Price thought pit bulls were disposable items, bred to be killed, gladiators if you will. Who knows? In any case, I'll accept the charge that the resulting Blitzen lead was too cutesy. That's a risk I sometimes take, like Favre throwing on the run into double coverage, and every now and then somebody catches it. Also, 1) cutesy or not, it was near enough universal to get a reader's attention, and 2) it enabled me, later, to just name my mutts without going on about their Marleyesque eccentricities.:)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, go try again Dave... :D

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

My one nitpick with Kindred's article - should have linked in the SI story somewhere.

9. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted