1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindred doesn't think Tiger was honest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 9, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There's plenty of faithful people who can't hold a job, and plenty of unfaithful people who are awesome in their job. One wall crumbling doesn't necessarily make the building fall down.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The impression I am getting here is that a good number thinks Kindred's opinion doesn't matter at all when it comes to Tiger. This is despite the fact that Dave has been covering golf before Tiger showed up, and he's likely to be there when Tiger hangs up the clubs.

3. dooley_womack1

Logic by authority = fallacy.

Not saying Dave is right or wrong, just sayin' his status doesn't make him automatically right.

4. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Survey: Will Tiger end up with more career major victories or more skank conquests? It's pretty close right now.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I agree. Especially that Tiger is a disaster area. I do think his days as a marketing empire are done. Nike and a few others will stick by him.

And speaking of the majors vs. skanks scorecard: He sure has redefined the Tiger Slam, hasn't he?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't think Tiger was honest either. So?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If getting bashed with a golf club, wrecking your car, going into rehab and performing Cleveland Steamers does not tilt one toward the outlier edges . . .

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For me, Tiger Woods doesn't get to have it both ways. He is a corporate human being, who perpetrated a scripted image in order to earn millions. That image came crashing down because of his behavior, which became public. It's all fair game now. If this was a man who had guarded his privacy, and didn't sell his image to anyone with an open checkbook while carefully trying to promulgate a scripted story everywhere he goes, I'd agree with you. His private life is his private life. But the day he made himself public to pad his bank account, that changed. I agree with Kindred in that this has been the same exact Tiger woods. Full of shit. Trying to control everything. Still scripting the image; as transparent as he seems to people like me. What has changed is that everyone now knows what the REAL Tiger Woods is like. Too bad for him.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Man, I don't get why everyone just hates this guy. Look, he cheated on his wife, and I don't think that is right, whatsoever. But I don't think he deserves all the scrutiny he's received, because it's his personal life. He is a public figure, and he's come clean with the details (albeit minimally). Everything else (like Elin smashing a club to his head) is just assumed. It's not fact. The fact is he was fined $162.

In a week, all of this isn't going to matter, because the media just goes with the flow. When Tiger wins this thing, everyone will be writing about how he's has put the toughest time of his life behind him and he's ready to move forward. In the words of George Thorogood, it'll all be real lovey, lovey.

How do I know this? Think about the Super Bowl a few years ago, when the top two players in that game (Holmes and Fitzgerald) were both arrested on charges of beating up their wives/girlfriends. Nobody really spoke of that in the immediate aftermath of the game. Just all lovey, lovey.

And for the record, beating up a girl is much worse than cheating on her, although that's a bit off topic.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Waylon, everyone dismissed Pierce's story 12 years ago. Major difference between then and now. Tiger put on a front, everyone bought it hook, line, and sinker.

He got caught and rightfully so.

Want my official position on him? Here it is: I have a different opinion of him as a human. What he did was garbage and anyone who tries to dismiss that is the stupidest son-of-bitch on the face of the earth. With that said, I'm not going to block him from what he does best to make a living, which is golf.

Am I happy he's back on tour? Not really, but that's his choice. I've been watching golf before he showed up and I'll be watching it when he leaves.

If anyone needs to recuse themselves from moralizing, it's not the media, the fans, or his sycophants.

It's Jim Carrey. Shut the fuck up, dude. You're wife is calling it quits and you are taking shots at another guy's wife? Gutless motherfucker. Stay classy.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The thought that Tiger Woods needs to be free to "make a living" is akin to Latrell Sprewell having to feed his family.

He has plenty of money. He has very little shame, or he would step out of the spotlight and go away for a very long time. He certainly wouldn't be okaying any new Nike ads.

12. dooley_womack1

He has every right to appear for whichever companies will have him. And why does he have to go away for more than the few months he did? Is there some Public Penance sliding scale or something?

Draft saved Draft deleted