1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindred doesn't think Tiger was honest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 9, 2010.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Well said.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Do you need to think meaningfully about Tiger Woods, golf or the Masters to get through this column? Because at this point I think the only thing worse is actually sitting down and watching the thing.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's not that Tiger's individual responses weren't honest, though DK implies he has doubts, it's the impression that Tiger has allowed that he would be forthcoming, open and less combative, which is clearly not true.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

If they're reading the story, they're interested.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A-I-D-A. Attention, interest, decision, action. Attention -- do I have your attention? Interest -- are you interested? I know you are because it's fuck or walk. You close or you hit the bricks! Decision -- have you made your decision for Christ?!! And action. A-I-D-A; get out there!! You got the prospects comin' in; you think they came in to get out of the rain? Guy doesn't walk on the lot unless he wants to buy. Sitting out there waiting to give you their money! Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think it was open presser, but with some implied intimidation in the air--would anyone dare directly ask about the mistresses, the text messages, etc., in the cathedral of golf, with the Masters lords watching? Maybe there were some reporters' hands in the air that were going to ask such questions when the presser was cut off (after a not-unreasonable 30-plus min.), but maybe not.

I think Tiger's camp knew that, too, which was yet another reason why Augusta was the perfect place for him to return to playing.

Tiger was definitely grinding in that room, too. Calling the media "his friends" was an LOL/ROTF moment for all time.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Right ... such judgments are best left in the hands of the shining lights of society like Billy Payne and Tim Tebow.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Such judgments are best left to oneself. I don't like it when anyone gets preachy.

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I think what Billy Payne did was unprofessional and not necessary. He says the Masters can stand on his own merit, and I agree to an extent, if only for the beauty of the course and the tradition. But does he know 75 percent of the people watching wouldn't give a shit if not for that guy you just verbally berated, and that the Masters would esentially be a glorified - and slightly literal - Waste Management Phoenix Open?

I hope that when Tiger wins this thing, he takes the green jacket and pisses all over it like Lou Brown on Roger Dorn's contract.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

3. I've always thought he's a turd and don't care if he ever plays golf again. Which puts me in a very, very, very small minority. But what the hell.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I think he's an amazing golfer, just breathtakingly good.

But if he's gonna make most of his money as a pitchman and try to sell products to people, he needs to be more than just a dude who hits the ball really pretty.

I don't get how we say a married guy, with kids and a very public image to protect, who had at least a dozen mistresses is "flawed." He's a dude with millions of dollars in the bank, a singular skill that makes him among the all-time greats in his profession, and many endorsement deals that depend on his image. Yet, when he teeters on the precipice of throwing it all away, based not only on the number of mistresses but on the type of mistress and his relationship with them (dirty texts and phone messages that sound like a horny 12-year-old), we say "Oh, well human beings are flawed. I just wanna see him GOLF!!!!!!!"

Tiger Woods is NOT "flawed." He is a disaster area, devoid of any thought of consequences because he's never had to worry about getting in trouble. Hey, "normal" people cheat on their wives; just look at his dear old dad. But this dude's escapades; you can't make this stuff up. What a fascinating story, how this guy does what for most people would be called "self destructing," yet is going to come out of all this just fine. I don't feel "let down" by him because I never thought he was that impressive an individual to begin with.

As to the point of Kindred's column: Just like anyone else in an interview situation, he's not obligated to answer any questions. I'm shocked a quote exists regarding the new Nike ad.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He's had a single-minded pursuit, all right . . . but not of excellence on the golf course.

That he won a bajillion tournaments during his single-minded pursuit of poon is a tribute to enormous talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted