1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindred doesn't think Tiger was honest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Nice work by Dave, who was honored this week at the Masters.

Kindred doesn't beleive Tiger was telling even part of the truth during his presser.

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/because-of-sports-journalists-in-the-room-with-tiger-woods-monday-we-know-he-hasnt-changed-at-all/

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Opinions are like assholes ....

I don't get why evading a question about what kind of rehab you're in is telling a lie. He's come clean that he was in rehab, and that it's worked for him. So he doesn't want to offer what could be (more) embarrassing information about his personal life. Nobody would in that situation.

Just beacuse he isn't answering your questions, doesn't exactly make him a liar. This is why sports media kind of pisses me off these days ... The line between mainstream sports media and the National Enquirer only continues to get more blurred.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think we're at the point where people have locked themselves into a position on Tiger Woods.

1. "He's a foul human being, but I'll still watch him play golf." aka the intelligent position

2. "I don't care about his personal life but he's the greatest golfer.EVER. PERIOD." The jock niffer

4. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Fact 1: Some people think Tiger was honest.
    Fact 2: Some people think Tiger was dishonest.
    Fact 3: No one but Tiger knows for sure.
    Fact 4: Tiger makes good copy.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Blood-Horse magazine paid 1K for an article in 1986??

6. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

Now THAT'S impressive. Wonder what they pay nowadays. :-o

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're a non-profit, but hurting. Ad sales are in the sewer. The thing's
    a quasi-pamphlet, some weeks.

8. They are, but this is the opinion of a golf writer... a long time and well-respected golf writer. The same kind of guy many on here would accuse of genuflecting at Tiger upon his return to remain in his good graces.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

There's a bit of a point-counterpoint thing on the above-mentioned Web site. Kindred's piece is offset by Eric Deggans, who says the reporters in the crowd weren't tough enough on Tiger. That notion seems a bit harsh to me. While there were a couple of questions that went unasked, the press conference didn't strike me as a hands-off affair.

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The subject of an interview has every right to say I don't want to answer a question. People use "no comment" all the time. The reporter can either accept it or dig somewhere else for the answer.
    Whenever I see or read about a reporter who has a difficult interview, it makes it look like the reporter is a whiny crybaby. Toughen up and do some investigating, if it's worth it.
    To me, it looks like TMZ and Deadspin have been doing most of the digging and reporting on the Tiger story and coming up with at least interesting details. By interesting, I mean that stories that people actually read, and not necessarily worthwhile material.
    Let me know when Tiger wins another golf tournament and I will read the story.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You forgot one ...

3. I don't give a fuck about any of this. PERIOD.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't get the logic behind the thought that because Tiger didn't respond to questions (that Tiger obviously deemed too personal) he's therefore "unable to tell the whole truth" and unworthy of Dave's sympathy.

Uh, no, Dave, he is under no obligation to provide every gory detail of his private life to a room packed with people who would take that information and subject him to further embarrassment in the name of journalism. And I don't think he was asking for your sympathy, either.

Maybe I'm just really tired of the finger-wagging, holier-than-thou columnists who put themselves in position of moral arbiter.

Draft saved Draft deleted