1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle vs. Nook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I knew my colleagues at SJ would've touched on this subject. I'm torn between the three (Kindle, Nook and Nook Color) for MrsExpendalbe. My mother-in-law has a Kindle, and they could share books, so, that narrows it down to the Kindle and the Nook Color). How is the web browser on the Nook Color? I'm wondering if a $100 web browser is worth the price difference and the lack of free books from the mother-in-law.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got more books on my shelves than I'll ever be able to read (though I'm determined to try) - if the day comes when I have read every book I own, and suddenly don't feel a little bit giddy every time I turn the last page on one book and open a new one - then maybe I would give the digital stuff a try.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My wife absolutely loves her Kindle. So much so that one arrived here today for me. I still have a ton of books, too, to work my way through but I think this will make traveling easier and I suspect most of my future book purchases will be for the Kindle. The capacity is now 3500 books.

I'll have to check out magazines, too, see how that works.

4. accguy

accguy Member

Moddy,

Welcome to the world of the e-reader. I love my Nook Color both for books and newspapers.

Been getting the NYT on there and am considering quitting the dead tree edition of my local paper and getting it on my Nook. Maybe just dead tree edition on weekends.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My wife has purchased me a nook for Christmas. My 7-year old son let it slip. I've contacted my friend at B&N and he said it would be no problem to return it for a nook color.

I have two concerns.

1. I don't know if it's worth the $100 extra.

2. I don't know if I want my e-reader to have other distractions like Pandora, video games and internet. Two of those are already things that take away from my reading time.

What do you guys think? Get the upgrade, or stick with the nook..

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Went with the Kindle. We just bought new Droids, so I figure they would do most of the things the nook would do.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Girlfriend bought me a Kindle for Christmas. Can't wait to try it out.

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Got the nook this morning. Had a chance to look at the box for a little while and caress it like a baby. Then got dressed and headed to my parents' for the day. Now I'm at work, counting down the minutes until I can go home and finally open it.

And I've decided to keep the regular nook for now. The color, other than it being aesthetically sexier, still has some kinks to work out as far as the apps and web browser. So my wife and I have figured that in a couple of months I'll be ready for the upgrade and she'll just take over my nook.

9. accguy

accguy Member

Stagger,

Welcome to the world of the Nook. It is awesome. Make sure you go to overdrive.com to find out if your local library has e-books.

And the Nook Color is awesome.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I did it all for the Kindle!

The Kindle!

So you can take Mike Tindall and stick it up his YEAH!

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Downloaded by my first Kindle book (The Cheap Bastard's Guide to Las Vegas) and this thing is beyond cool!

Draft saved Draft deleted