1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle vs. Nook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To bring this back in a slightly different direction . . .

Wife would like a reader for her birthday, but her needs are atypical of the typical Kindle or Nook user.

She HAS many books on her computer but would like to transfer them to a portable device. And she tells me many (though not all) of the books she downloads are in "DJVU" format (somethng I had never heard of). After a quick check online, I found only one company's e-reader (Astek) that supports this format.

http://ebook-reader-review.toptenreviews.com/

We would like to go to a big-box store and ask some questions, but I do not know of any that sells this particular machine.

Any suggestions?

2. Mira

Mira Member

I've had a nook since mid-May and I love it. I have about 60 books on it, and many were free since B&N has Free Fridays, and also has a slew of weekends where you are able to download classics (Huck Finn, Sense and Sensibility) for no charge.

I have the 3G version and like the option to download whenever I want. I'm intrigued with the battery life of the new Kindle, but plugging in and recharging the nook is no hassle. I don't read for 10 straight hours and worry about the battery dying, so I'm cool with the nook options. I heard the new Kindle is a bit lighter, but I don't have any issue with the nook, so it doesn't bug me at all.

I haven't used the nook for mags or newspaper subscriptions, so I can't speak to this option.

I read WAY more than I ever have due to the fact that I can easly stuff the nook in a book bag and read whenever, wherever. It's a good thing.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Same here...I've never gone anywhere with just a book. I've survived a few decades of eternal mocking for my book collection, so I just make the books larger just to spite them. :p

I'd love to have a Kindle/Nook if I ever got enough money to travel extensively but I do like having hard copies because I read in the bathtub. There is no way I'm taking a Kindle/Nook into the tub unless I can buy an Otterbox for the thing.

4. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Mrs. Doyle has a birthday coming up, and I'm essentially in the same boat as Moddy was. Checked out the Nook today and was really impressed, especially by the library check-out function. That could be a deal breaker. Will have to go play with a Kindle at Target this week before making a decision.

Thanks for all the good info on this thread, guys.

5. accguy

accguy Member

A little update here. I bought a Nook about a month ago and really liked it. Like that I can check out library books for free. That put it over the top against the Kindle.

I was a little bummed that about a week after I bought the Nook, the NookColor was announced.

Anyway, went into my local B&N yesterday and was looking at the NookColor. It is very cool. It is an e-reader with some iPad features. Anyway, since my Nook was only about a month old, they let me return it for full credit and get the NookColor.

It is very sweet and the full touch screen is great. Haven't tried it outdoors. I know it won't be as good as e-ink, but the features are great.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm glad I waited. I went and played with the NookColor last night and loved it. I like that the magazines are in original format and that eventually the Color will have apps like the iPad. I don't think the e-ink thing will bother me, but I don't know.

Only complaint I've heard is that the Color doesn't last nearly as long as iPad. But I'm rarely somewhere where I don't have access to power to charge it.

7. accguy

accguy Member

Stagger, it is cool isn't it?

And I think that I'm willing to plug the thing in when I'm sleeping. Doesn't seem that tough.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

When you're checking out library books, does it have to be with a participating library that you have a card with? How exactly does that work?

The Nook color looks pretty. I have to keep reminding myself that I don't have a full-time job right now and I have a car payment to make every month.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It's awesome and if they come through with the promise that it'll have Android apps available in early 2011, then it may be a smart investment while it's still $200 cheaper than an iPad.

Personally, I am not interested in getting an iPad. I don't need a device that plays movies and video games. I just want an e-reader, and if it just so happens to have music streaming capability, that will be a plus.

My wife let it slip that my mom was considering getting me a Nook for Christmas, so I told her that she needs to drop hints to my mom that the NookColor is what she should get me. Hell, even if she buys me the regular old Nook, I'll return it and upgrade to the Color.

10. accguy

accguy Member

Wenders,

Many libraries have e-books available. The best place to check would be to either go to the website of your library or go to overdrive.com and enter your zip code. It will pull the closest ones to you.

It is pretty slick. You request books online and they are like books in the sense that they don't have an unlimited number of them. If the book is available, you can download it immediately. If not, you are on a waiting list and you get an email when it is available.

It uses Adobe Digital Editions. You do need to use a USB cable to get it from your computer to the Nook, but if I can do it, it can't be that hard.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why would the number be limited?

12. accguy

accguy Member

BTE,

Because libraries buy electronic licenses for books, meaning they can only have that many copies checked out.

With my library, most titles have two or three licenses. People can check out a title for up to 21 days. If you haven't returned the book at that point, it vanishes from my Nook.

Draft saved Draft deleted