1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle vs. Nook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's the type of thing she wants to do with our daughter - I'd love to hear more about that.
    (daughter is getting one, too, as a Christmas present)

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

If that's the case, then go with the nook. The nook allows for external memory so you could basically double that to 1500. Kindle only has the internal memory.

I just went count all the books I own and I thought I had a pretty big collection and I only have in the 200s. I seriously doubt I could ever get to 1500 books, but I've heard people who get an e-reader say their reading picks up simply because they have an e-reader.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have bought more books since I got my Ipad, it's just so darn easy.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Good article in NYT that compares Kindle to I pad

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/business/08digi.html?scp=2&sq=kindle&st=cse

5. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I got a Kindle for Christmas, so I didn't shop around at all. If I had made the purchase, I would still go with a Kindle. I like the idea of a gadget that does one thing really well. I like that I won't get distracted by surfing the net or playing games if I have a dedicated reader. I like having the free 3G so I can get a book whenever I want. I buy a lot of Blu-rays and other things through the Amazon store anyway. I like how I can download Kindle reader apps to other devices if I decide to ditch the physical Kindle but want to keep my books.

However, I don't like some things about it. While I understand that Amazon wants a proprietary file for the books it sells, I'd love if the Kindle had more support for other files so I can do the library thing. I also don't like reading newspapers on the Kindle. Not that it matters, because there's not a newspaper within 200 miles of my home that has a Kindle edition.

6. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This and the support to "check out" library e-books is making mean lean heavy toward the Nook. The only edge Kindle has for me at the moment is a wider access to newspapers and magazines (which, honestly, is the thing I think I'll really end up reading more of when I get an e-reader).

I am following this thread closely as I start advising the friends and family on Christmas presents. ;)

7. Moderator1

My wife just said the Kindle now has or will soon have the library function?

8. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I guess technically you could convert the e-pub file to PDF and read it in Kindle, but as far as going online and "checking" out a book from your public library, Kindle does not offer that.

Here's a link dealing with that topic:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94186&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mr%2Ffull+%28MobileRead+Forums%29

9. Moderator1

The Kindle arrived today. My wife will never speak to me again - not out of anger. Because she'll be engrossed. I got her the Kindle, a cover and a book as her present. Soft touch me ended up buying four books for her tonight and she's 50 percent through one already (it tells her that). She hasn't moved in hours.

10. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

You better hook her up to an IV and get a bed pan STAT!

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

A friend mentioned on Facebook the other day that she had just gotten her new Kindle, and my reply was: "I got my wife a Kindle for Christmas and she hasn't put it down or spoken with me or the boys since." So your assessment is pretty spot-on, Moddy.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Got an Aluratek off-brand e-reader around the holidays. Thing works great. Just can't buy from Amazon or B&N, but that's not a problem since most titles are available in universal ebook formats elsewhere (and for a lot less).

Draft saved Draft deleted