1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle vs. Nook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like a can't lose decision between Nook and Kindle from what I've read here.

Would defiantly go with 3G version based on my experience .

Nothing you need to do other than turning on to get your subscriptions anywhere you are.

2. accguy

accguy Member

21, you can download a book or magazine purchased from BN on wireless on the Nook. If you want to "check out" an ebook from your library, that will require computer hookup.

I kind of feel like it is a can't lose as well. There are a couple of things that each does better than the other.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We spent some time in a local B&N today, got a good look at the Nook.

I threw the question out to my Facebook community. Someone said B&N has discontinued production and B&N is up for sale??

Anyway, seems like six of one half dozen of the other.

Nook is 10 bucks more, holds a lot less and is a smidge heavier. But, they say, it has more titles available. And you can "share" with friends for two weeks, which my wife really likes. And you can take it to a B&N for service or if there's a problem (which may not be the case if B&N gets sold?)

The version with 3G is 50 bucks more but I see zero reason to spend that. "Well," the woman said, "if your wife is on the beach and wants to download a book ***" She can download from LOTS of places before she hits the beach and can probably poach a wifi signal from there. What other reason would you need 3G? I'd rather use that 50 on some books.

You can't use your B&N discount card on the Nook or on any NookBooks.

We lean heavily toward Nook right now but the birthday is 19 days away.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Moddy, They may be getting B&N confused with Borders. Borders is the one that has been near bankruptcy twice and had three CEOs in as many years.

5. Moderator1

Good. I mean, not for Borders. I like Borders. But Borders doesn't have the Nook.

When I try to hit a bookstore on the road, I like to find a Borders. There's not the sameness to them that there is with B&N. At home it's almost always B&N. Three are closer to the ranch than the only Borders in town.

6. swenk

swenk Member

Sorry to say, it's B&N. Hopefully they'll be acquired by friendly investors, if they do decide to sell. Like the newspaper business, bookselling is a train wreck.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-08-04/barnes-noble-mulls-sale-under-pressure-from-burkle.html

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I did a quick google search and found this.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/04/business/media/04barnes.html

That does say they are up for sale (article is dated Aug. 3), but says nothing about the Nook being discontinued. In fact, it says B&N is planning to open up 1000 foot boutiques in their stores in September to help promote it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think 3G is worth it just for the subscriptions. They load automatically - nothing you need to do. No need to try to find a WIFI connection and sign in.

9. Moderator1

I have wifi at home, don't need to go far to find it. Can't remember the last time I was at a place that had NO wifi. It's everywhere, even in the air.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So you're sitting at the beach on some Caribbean island, 100 pages into the book you planned to read all week on vacation....and you just hate the book. You want a different book. But no wifi on the beach! You are stuck! With a bad book!!

Or you subscribe to the AP Sports or NYT News updates. Brett Favre could retire and you'd never know.

You need to think about these things. 8)

Just saying, the kindle does such cool things, seems a waste to not take advantage.

11. Moderator1

I'll have a full head of hair before The Queen goes anywhere with just ONE book. She's seriously worried that a 1,500 book capacity may not be enough.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

In that case, here's one more suggestion I wish I had known before: You can register your kindles together, so you can have access to the same materials. Something like that. So instead of buying two New Yorker subscriptions, or two copies of the same book, Boom and I could have bought one and had it sent to two different kindles registered to the same account.

Has anyone done that? You manage it from the website, allegedly very easy to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted