1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle Unlimited

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone a member? Worth it? Plusses? Minuses? My son and daughter share my account so anything I currently buy shows up on their iPads. Same thing with this?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've been considering it. Price of Kindle books has gone up and their new books now seem to run
    around $10 to $12. Kindle unlimited is 9.99 a month so if you read one Kindle book a month
    you break even. I like the idea that audio books is part of deal.

I guess my question would be if they have all the books that I want to read.

3. Moderator1

I thought it was every book that's on Kindle but that doesn't appear to be the case. So selection, number of devices, etc., are all the questions I have.

4. Boom_70

I just checked for Jack Reacher series which I have invested a small fortune in and it's not part of unlimited. Neither is
    latest Clancy book as a random sampling.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, you can get somewhat of an idea of what books are available. Prime members already have access to the Kindle Lending Library, which allows you to borrow one book a month, last I checked. (Unlimited allows you to borrow up to ten(?) books at a time, with no monthly limits, and has a somewhat larger library.)

I subscribe to both Prime and Unlimited, but more often than not have found myself having to purchase the books I'm looking to read. That's just my experience though--not a scientific study--and you may get more use out of it based on your own preferences and whether you would choose to read books you might otherwise not read simply because they're available for "free." And there definitely are big-name authors with their books available through Unlimited-many Michael Lewis books are there, for example.

The books you borrow would be available on all devices, I believe. However, that also means the ten book limit is aggregated across all devices.

6. Moderator1

So it isn't really unlimited if there's a limit?

7. Boom_70

I'm going to try it for the free 30 day trial and see it it's worth it.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I took a long look at it a few months ago, and after leafing through all that was available in the genre I read (mystery, suspense, thriller) I decided it just wasn't worth it. Largely unknown authors from what I could see.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Kindle Unlimited selection appears to be really, really bad. I thought about it until I saw what was available.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. I looked at it a few weeks ago and the selection was horrible. I didn't even bother to sign up for the free 30 days.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I felt the same way. I'll stick with my local library.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's the problem with this kind of stuff, and that includes Prime and so many of the other offers out there.

If I could get it and read the three bestsellers that I want to read, I would get it in a second. But if you want something new or relatively new, more than likely, it's not going to be available.

Draft saved Draft deleted