1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle or Sony Reader

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Digress, Feb 1, 2009.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Might finally cave in and try either Kindle or the Sony; I think the Kindle 2.0 just came out, with a longer battery and other improvements. Love real books, but overwhelmed by the schlep factor.

No one has one yet?

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Review of the new Kindle ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/technology/personaltech/24pogue.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

At $359 for the machine, plus extra for books, I think I'll be holding off for a while on the new Kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00154JDAI/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=3098353127&ref=pd_sl_41di7k8jq1_b

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Which sister?

I'll second what HC said about Kindle. It sucks that you can't buy them here because of the connectivity factor. It's like the iPhone which wasn't available in Canada until about a year after the US launch because they didn't have a Canadian carrier. But good old Ted Rogers came in to save the day.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

The cost of the books are immaterial, as I buy books anyway.. when I get my in June for my anniversary (No. 10!) I'll give you all a review!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mrs. Ace has both and uses both. Not sure why.

I always order and download the stuff on the Sony Reader. No computer needed with Kindle.

7. ...when they pry my books out of my cold dead hands.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Once again, Fen, this is to supplement the reading of actual books.. for trips and the like.. We travel, frequently. With the baggage restrictions and what not.. taking 5 or 6 books, or more, is becoming less feasible.

9. dprince57

dprince57 Member

I have the Kindle 2. I've had the little jewel for about a week and love it. It's easy to use. It's easy to read. The battery life seems to be great (as long as you have the wireless turned off). I have switched my NYT subscription to it and will change the New Yorker to it as well when my current subscription runs out.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. There is a Kindle app for free at the iTunes store if you have an iPhone or Ipod touch. It allows you to purchase Kindle books and read it them in the iPhone or touch. I haven't used it, so I can't say how hard it is to read a book that way, but maybe worth checking out if you already have an iPhone and don't want to spring for a Kindle.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You can only use Kindle for things you buy from Amazon.com.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Way too much money.

Considering how cheap you can get books on Amazon within weeks of them coming out, I can't imagine why someone would pay that kind of $$$ for the machine and then have to pay full price for the books.

Draft saved Draft deleted