1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle or Sony Reader

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Digress, Feb 1, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

So, next time my husband spends money on me, I said I want one of these. I said Kindle, which I saw on a plane once, but he's done some research and the Sony has some nice features that Kindle doesnt.

Anyone out there have one? What do you like about it? What do you wish it did that it doesn't do? Buy it again? Are they as easy to read as they seem like they'd be?

Thanks

2. donnie23

donnie23 Member

My mother wanted nothing but a Kindle for Christmas, and she says it's excellent. Really loves the built-in free WiFi that allows her to shop anywhere for new books -- not sure if the Sony has that too.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Newly-revised Kindle to be introduced in a couple of weeks. And they don't use WiFi -- Amazon piggybacks on Sprint's 3G network.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Be glad you have a choice. We can't get Kindles in Canada because of the Sprint thing. My research says that Sony is better technically but that the Kindle has the advantage in terms of content. You can even subscribe to newspapers and download them daily.

Usually I love to be Canadian but this sucks.

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Good to know. The thing about the Sony that is different is that you can put the books on a flashdrive... Kindle doesn't offer that, unless we've misread the specs. Maybe the new one will?

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, JR's sister has a Sony and is crazy about it.

7. I can recommend these things called...books.

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Dude, I love books. I own thousands of books. I also love to travel. I think taking a Kindle/Sony Reader is a far better option than carting a dozen books on vacation. And I kid you not, on a four-day, I can put away five books.. A week....at least 9.....

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That's why I want one too. When I was singing in France for 7 weeks the weight of the books was prohibitive. A Reader would allow me to take enough reading material for a gig without taking an extra suitcase.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

<sigh>

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66403/

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know no one who has either (hey, cut me some slack -- I live and work in Hollywood!) but it seems to me the Kindle is the Ipod for book readers -- and the Sony is, well, the Zune.

I'd wait to get the upcoming 2.0 edition Kindle. In fact, that's exactly what I'm planning to do.

Draft saved Draft deleted