1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle Love?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 8, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do you love it? Despise it? Is it easy to read?

Wifey just got me one for my birthday and although I love the feel of the quality paperbacks in my hands I'm quickly becoming obsessed with what can I load up on my Kindle.

Kind of cool that the classics are available for free (got War and Peace, Communist Manifesto and Art of War just for the heck of it.)

Your thoughts?

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I love it. As for being easy to read, it feels like you're reading a book not looking at a screen which is great for me. Pick up The Count of Monte Cristo. Great, great book that is free and ridiculously long.

3. accguy

accguy Member

I have a Nook Color and I love it lots. I get the NYT delivered electonically every morning. I read more books. And with the Nook, you can get library ebooks for free.

4. Kermit McManus

Kermit McManus New Member

I love my Kindel . I find it great way to Read on bus and train.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Got one for Christmas and absolutely love it. I find myself reading a hell of a lot more, too.

I've gotten totally hooked on the "read a sample" feature. I've read the beginning to at least 20-30 books in the last few weeks.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its getting close to out of control as I download free books and special Kindle priced books.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Love mine. A lot.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think my wife loves her Kindle more than she loves me. Not that I blame her.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love your wife's Kindle more than she loves you. And I've never even seen a Kindle.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ohhhhhh.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

If you like classics, go to gutenberg.org. All free legal downloadable ebooks. :D

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle if I get into grad school. I figure I'll probably be able to get .pdf version of my textbooks and just load them onto an e-reader rather than having to lug them all over creation.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Bringing this back up for a moment...

I love my Kindle. I'm reading a lot more since I got it, it's convenient, yada yada yada. Really happy with it.

But seriously, does ANYONE proof the Kindle versions of books? I'm so tired of all the apparent coding errors that pop up in books on the Kindle.

I just finished a book in which "I'll" became "FU" in every single instance. Just read a preview in which hyphens became apostrophes. The same preview had several words broken up by spaces. I'm going to get the full book, but I'm guessing it's a mess.

I read one book where any quotation starting with "I.." jumped down two lines, sometimes below other copy.

Anyone else have this issue?

Draft saved Draft deleted