1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kinda screwed over on a car, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Jul 3, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Until they tell the ad director, who tells the publisher who calls him into the office...

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

You know, this is the perfect thread for me to vent on. I just got done searching for used cars with my father over the past month before finally just giving up and finding a 2002 Honda Civic and buying it privately through a very, very nice man about 20 minutes from me. Used car salesmen are scum and most will likely sell a car with a bad transmission or some other fault to their mother to just make a buck. I'd go in there and make myself noticed. If you had a deposit on the car, that claims that you have priority on that vehicle until you have lifted that deposit or purchased the car.

Funny story. My dad and I were looking at a 2001 Honda Civic at a Nissan dealership. After test-driving it and reviewing the CarFax, we were both brought in to talk price. When my dad suggested to me that we should go home and discuss it, the salesman suggested we put a deposit on the car before leaving because it had been looked at quite a few times prior to our visit and someone was "supposedly" test-driving it while we were speaking to him at that very moment.

As the salesman let, my dad and I noticed the car keys were on his desk to that same vehicle that was being "supposedly" test-driven. Ha! We left, didn't bother putting a deposit on it and never called the guy back.

Go in there, make yourself noticed. The guys should have enough conscience to know that the market is bad and he screwed you over. Lay into him.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Never give them a deposit and don't let go of your keys on your trade in or they will "lose" them.

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Dealer trades. Done many of them back in the day when I worked in the fleet and lease department of a large metro car dealership.

Dealer A does a computer search, finds the car at Dealer B. They haggle, come to an agreement. Usually, it's very amicable because there might be a day when Dealer B needs to do a trade with Dealer A. It doesn't always work this way, I had a GM reject a vehicle out of general jerkness.

Usually the GM is the one who approves trades, but sometimes, depending on the dealer's hierarchy, the new sales manager handles them.

In this case, I would make it crystal clear that if they don't want to deal with an angry customer who will announce from the hilltops how he got screwed over, they had best find you the vehicle you want, even if they have to do a dealer trade halfway across the country. With the holiday weekend, you're just going to have to keep your fingers crossed that the two dealerships know what the heck they're doing.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

In summary, when anyone tries bully tactics, walk away. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200, and don't even stop for a free bottle of water. Just walk away.

amraeder, demand your deposit back and walk away. Any business that treats a customer like that is not a place worthy of your dollars. Besides, if anything goes wrong under warranty, you'll have to go back if you don't want to spend another wad of money. Do you want to go back to a place where you already had a sour experience?

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

For warranty work, he can take the car to any Nissan dealer -- you're not stuck taking the car to the dealership at which is was bought.

And am I correct that the dealer that agreed to the transfer is the one doing the screwing here, not the dealer from which he's buying the car?

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Mainly, yeah. The only thing is, the dealership from which I'm buying the car had to know on Monday that something was messed up (I went there on sunday, transfer should have gone down on monday) and they didn't tell me about it until Thursday. That and the fact I specifically asked "Are you sure you can get the car?" and they swore on a stack of bibles they could are the two biggest beefs I have with the dealership that sold me the car.

Draft saved Draft deleted