1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kinda screwed over on a car, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Jul 3, 2008.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I didn't finance the car because I'm paying cash. But I'm pretty sure they cashed the $200 check I wrote them.

I have a signed paper right in front of me listing the car, the price all that. Just noticed on the bottom, though it says "This is not a legal binding contract" so maybe I am screwed :(

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You're still entitled to bitch at the dealership -- especially since they shipped the car up for you to buy. If the dealership in Cinci sold it before it came up, that's one thing.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the future, I would never give a car dealer a deposit.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

"This is not a legal binding contract" doesn't mean squat.

Does the signed paper have a VIN?

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Get your money back -- absolutely make a stink about it in the process -- and walk away. There are too many dealers out there hungry for business to give this one a second chance to make it right.

6. Don't sweat the rebates. They will make it happen for you.
    Good gas mileage vehicles - even used ones - are hot so they worth more now. Supply and demand.
    If you have a VIN number on that piece of paper you signed you are in good shape.
    Don't sweat, you should be in good shape anyway. They'll make it right for you, it just might take longer.

Keep in mind, when dealers get cars from other lots, they might be listed as available til someone goes to pick it up. A dealer ain't going to hold a car for another dealer when one his guys can sell it.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You are probably screwed unless it has the purchase price and the VIN number.

In any event, I would just take your deposit, make a stink, then walk away and start over. I'm a litigator, I fight every day for my clients, and if you can walk away, do not build up the emotional baggage. You are going to look back, for this amount of $$, and say why did I waste x days of my life sweating this? Do not do it. Go on with your life, you've got a lot to look forward to, move on.

8. amraeder

Well, I just heard back from them (they left a message while I was out running). I guess I can get the exact same car (down to the same color) on Monday for the say price.

Seems fair enough.

9. amraeder

I should add, though, that it's another dealer trade.

Am I the guy in an abusive relationship who keeps going back and getting hurt again?
    Eg. am I naive for thinking I'm going to get the car this time? It seems like I should give them the benifit of the doubt (I do want the car after all) and then just raise all holy hell if they screw me again.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good deal. Try to get something for your trouble, though. Floor mats or free oil changes.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ask them if they have done an official dealer transfer, and not just found one in the computer that's supposed to be sitting on a lot God knows where. Dealer trades are not uncommon, and the other lot will lock down the car if they have a firm commitment. I would go by tommorow (trust me, they'll be open) and firm this up.

And you weren't kidding about the used Versa. Black Book retail on an extra clean S hatchback with a/t is $16,700, versus a MSRP (including destination charge) of $14,440.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I didn't say threaten anything, just let it come up in conversation. Nobody's going to fire you for mentioning where you work.

Years ago I moved into a house that was at the end of a long, narrow peninsula. When I called to start my phone service, I was told they couldn't do it -- the block had a certain "grid" of lines, and when the previous resident of my place moved out and cancelled service, the space went to a neighbor who was on a waiting list to get a second line. I would have to wait until someone else cancelled service to get a phone line.

This was a somewhat remote area, and I didn't even have the ability to call 911. I called the phone company a few times and just didn't get answers that made sense. One day I asked the news side reporter who sat near me, "Say, what's the name of the PR flack at the phone company?"

I called the guy, got his voice mail and left a description of my situation. Mentioned that I worked for the paper and who gave me his number, but I was very nice, casual, didn't threaten or get angry. I just asked if he could help me understand what was going on.

Went out for lunch, and when I came back there was a note from the receptionist on my desk: "Mr. Smith from the phone company called. Your phone will be turned on this afternoon. Here's your new phone number."

That didn't happen because I'm a nice guy. God knows our jobs have enough drawbacks, so use it when you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted