1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kinda screwed over on a car, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Jul 3, 2008.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So here's the deal, I went car shopping Sunday, spent the whole day (well as long as I could, they weren't open too long) looking for a new car. Checked out everywhere and everything.

Eventually, I settled on a 2008 Nissan Versa. Good utility, good gas mileage, good price. Only slight snag was that they had to bring it up from the Cincinnati area. Didn't have one on their lot.

No problem. They said it would be there Tuesday.

Tuesday comes, I call, no one tells me what's going on. Same deal Wednesday. Today I learn that the car they sold me HAD ALREADY BEEN SOLD.

So, now I'm screwed. Obviously I can go demand my downpayment back, but other than that, I'm not really sure what to do.

The lame part is, the manufacturer's rebate which got me such a good price expired in the interim. And all the cars I was looking at had rebates which are probably gone by now.

Any ideas?
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ask to see the sales manager and in the middle of the showroom, get very loud.
    Then complain to the regional office as well as the owner of the dealership.
  3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It's not your fault the rebates expired.

Tell them to honor them. Or you'll walk.

Look, they fucked up. You're dealing from a power position on this now. Use it to your advantage. Something along the lines of "ok, what are you going to do for me to make up for your mistake?"

It's not like the car dealers have the luxury of chasing buying customers away right now....
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you put a down payment down, haven't you already bought the car? Did you agree on a price? Why can't you make them find you another car at the same deal and throw in something extra for your trouble?
  5. amraeder

I should note that this is my first real car buying experience. My first car ever, the one I just got rid of, I bought from my parents.

So I really don't know much about it. But yeah, I put money down, I signed something. So I feel like I have some sort of leg to stand on. Not sure, though.
  6. amraeder

PS sorry about the slow response but my internet's being a jerk right now. I do really appreciate the suggestions, though.
  7. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

This is totally their fault. Especially in this economic climate, they should be bending over backwards to make things right for you. Make sure they're constantly aware that you were wronged by their actions.
  8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"OK, you stole my car. I paid for it, you sold it. Now, why should I CONTINUE TO DO BUSINESS WITH YOUR DEALERSHIP?"
  9. amraeder

I was just going to ask what I should say when I talk to the general manager of the place, but I think Slappy just answered that for me. :D
  10. amraeder

Got the GM's mother-fin' voice mail. LAME!
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just be aware that this is how dealers operate. You want a certain car, they are always going to promise to get you one.

They have someone who is wanting to buy a car. They are going to sell it.

They also will try to coax you into something similar to what you asked for rather than exactly what you asked for.

I would go in and talk the your salesmen first. Say you realled needed the car now for a big trip or whatever and see if they will put you in something upgraded from what you ordered right now.

Or maybe they'll give you a loaner to tool around with till your car comes.

I would be nice about it at first. Act a little frazzled and panicked, maybe that you really needed that car now.

I would wait to see if they start to give you a brush off or say they won't do anything for you before I start to bring the hammer down.
  12. Actually they might.
    Just read a story that car dealers are seeing record sales - in gas efficient models.
    Dealerships like Nissan, Toyota and Hyundai can't keep enough vehicles in stock for customers.

They should honor your rebate. Not your fault it expired.
    Do you also qualify for a first-time buyer discount or student (recent college grad)discount?

Also, I hope you aren't paying sticker price.
Draft saved Draft deleted