1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kind of sneaky, aren't we ESPN?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mighty_Wingman, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

ESPN.com's latest E-Ticket is on Conrad Dobler, yet another retired NFL player who's dedicated himself to fighting for pension and medical benefits for retired NFL players.

It's an interesting story, part of a suddenly loud chorus of coverage on the subject (Even the Sporting News, usually the NFL's biggest cheerleader, chimed in with a very interesting story about some retired players' dementia and depression.)

But that's not my point. This is the graphic that is ESPN.com's centerpiece at this moment:

[​IMG]

Kind of sleazy to use SI's cover photo and headline as a design element but conveniently crop out their masthead, isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Yes.
    But par for the course.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good catch. The E-Ticket logo on the right is visible, though. I'm sure the designer had a good reason.

::)

4. Mighty_Wingman

Oh, no doubt.

5. donaugust

donaugust Member

I wouldn't consider this fair usage.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I know bashing ESPN is sporting 'round here, most often deserved, but I'll disagree in this instance. On the inside page, the logo is clearly recognizable as SI's, and the writer mentions it in the third graf, viewable along with the inside graphic.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least they didn't disappoint...

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

F_ Conrad Dobler and his dirty image. He cashed in with it for hundreds of thousands in the 70s in those Miller Lite commercials.

And F_ ESPN for trying to cash in with it for millions in the Aughts.

9. Mighty_Wingman

The writer did have to visibly strain to present Conrad Dobler as anything but a psychotic, but that's a whole other discussion.

10. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Regardless of a mention of SI in the story, that is sleazy use. What, couldn't have an artist do an illustration?

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

SI should raise hell about it. ESPN shouldn't be allowed to use and SI cover and cut the mag's name off.

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

As I said, the SI logo is fully recognizable on the full illo on the inside, full-story page.

So what's the debate here? That it wasn't used fully on the front-page graphic?

As I said, the use of it "inside," as it were, and the plain mention of the story in question, with the cover shot in plain view, tells me they aren't exactly trying to hide the publication.

I think y'all are reaching here.

Draft saved Draft deleted