1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kimmel Banned from MNF

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 18, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Searched for a thread on this, but didn't find one so excuse if its a double.
    SI.com and the New York Times are reporting that Jimmy Kimmel has been banned from Monday Night Football for remarks he made during Monday's broadcast of the Falcons-Giants game. Among the apparently offensive comments made by Kimmel was a shout-out to former MNF-er Joe Theismann and remark about wanting to be with Kelly Ripa since Mitt Romney is running for president.

I missed Kimmel's comments while switching around the dial, but the what the hell? Tony the K goes off with a riff on Eli Manning and Kimmel gets crap for his comments? Sounds a little like inviting Ann Coulter on your show then expressing OUTRAGE over her comments. Or maybe Monday Night Football is attempting to generate some buzz for its broadcast. Amazing that a performer gets bumped off when there is no public outrage over his remarks, and probably only offended one person.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What is this Monday Night Football of which you speak?

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Is this like getting banned from SNL? Or The View?

Or like my boss telling me I'm banned from covering high school gymnatics...?

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He said Joey Harrington is a bad quarterback but is nice to animals.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That BASTARD! ::)

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Kimmel was less embarrassing than Korheiser's lame attempts to be witty

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw one of the Theismann references. Tirico did a "We'd like to welcome those of you who were watching the ALCS..." and Kimmel said "And I'd like to welcome Joe Theismann, watching from his living room with smoke coming out of his ears." It was followed by several seconds of silence from the other announcers. Fairly classless thing to say, but I don't know what they hell they were expecting putting Kimmel in the booth in the first place.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Good news for Monday Night Football: Jimmy Kimmel is no longer allowed on the show.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

wow... nice cheap shot at Kornheiser, from Theisman at the end of that article.

He may have taken his job, but TK has always been classy.

Also, did anyone hear Kimmel joke about Theisman's leg injury? I'm sure he did that too.

And how awkward was it when they starting talking about sports betting and Mike Tirico didn't say a word.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bad news for Monday Night Football: Tony Kornheiser is.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Kimmel and Sarah Silverman are the Royal Family of Suck

Draft saved Draft deleted