1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kim Jones and Steve Phillips

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Caught them on WFAN today. They were subbing for the regulars - Joe and Kevin.

Really good baseball stuff -- eminently more listenable than the drivel from the regulars.
  2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I was expecting something else when I opened this thread.
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Same here. And I'm wildly disappointed.
  4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Boom likes to pull the rug out.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Phillips likes to pull it out.
  6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

No, Phillips like to put it in.
  7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it's Joe and Evan, but the point stands, the two are very good together. Steve Phillips is an excellent broadcaster. He doesn't seem to have any desire to get back into the game, so he sounds pretty up front with his opinions (and he's appropriately self-deprecating when talking about his work with the Mets).

He was also quite forthright when Francesa interviewed him for the first time after his ... ahem ... troubles. I thought he did a lot to repair his image in that interview. Francesa acknowledged that some fans would think it was a bad idea to have him on the show after what happened, but he said he felt Phillips could bring a lot to the broadcast with a regular spot every week and I think he was right.
  8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Does he last longer than 15 seconds?
  9. Phillips is a freaking clown and anyone who spends more than 15 seconds listening to him needs to seriously look in the mirror and come up with better ways to spend their time. Life is short, you know. And there's like 10,000 other ass bags on the NYC airwaves at the same time, at least ONE person has to be better. Christ, I'd rather listen to Tim McCarver all day.
  10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

Good luck listening to McCarver, Jimmy. Don't expect us to throw a rope to you when you finally decide to jump out the window listening to Captain Obvious.

I'm not a big Phillips guy, and with that I can tolerate him. Just don't have him do that faux GM bullcrap that he did with ESPN back in the day.

That was an unmitigated joke.
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just why is he a clown? Please be specific, because I disagree.
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Mets with Frank Cashen as GM, 1980-1991: Two playoff berths, one World Series trip
    Mets with Steve Phillips as GM, 1997-2003: Two playoff berths, one World Series trip
    Every other Mets GM: Three playoff berths, two World Series trips
Draft saved Draft deleted