1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Killing Kennedy"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ruby killing Oswald was always more interesting to me.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What are "cheek casts"?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm guessing "average" for a Marine is still in the upper 3% of all Americans.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think it's entirely possible that he was at one time an asset for the CIA or Marines and proved to be too stupid and was pushed out. From there, it's not hard to believe he acted alone in trying to "show" his former bosses.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know that the Oswald stuff gets all the attention, but I'm more fascinated by the assassination as a news story/historical event. Only 9/11, I feel like, compares in my lifetime. I would guess Pearl Harbor was comparable, too.

You just very rarely have these bolts from the blue that alter history in a flash like this. There was a show on PBS the other night, narrated by George Clooney, in which they discussed and dramatized how the news spread and broke. It was really interesting to see what the first reports were on the wire and how they were scrambling behind the scenes to get on the air with it.

As I understand it, reporters didn't see the assassination, because they were in press buses well behind in the motorcade. Everything was second-hand or further. Then, for the first hour, all the usual channels of official information were in disarray. So I guess a lot of the first-day reporting was from events at the hospital, because that's where reporters finally re-entered the scene and where the White House press people started to get things under control again, as far as getting information out.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Merriman smith's account:

http://www.downhold.org/lowry/kennedy.html

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

PBS's Dallas affiliate, KERA, produced an excellent show a few years ago about the reporters covering the event. It's called JFK: Breaking the News.

Bob Schieffer, who at the time was working for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, was prominently featured in it. He said he was the night cops reporter and came into the office when he heard about the shooting to answer phones -- everyone else had been sent to Dallas to cover the story. So he picks up the phone and a lady asks is anyone there can give her a ride to Dallas. He tells her, "Lady, we're not a taxi service," and she says, "I think the person they've arrested is my son." So he drops everything and winds up giving Lee Harvey Oswald's mother a ride to the Dallas police station.

Here's an interview with Schieffer about it: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/white_house/kennedy/schieffer.html

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

A book called 'Breach of Trust'. It used some of the files released in the 90's to add to the background I think. Really took the warren commission Apart.

Draft saved Draft deleted