1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Killing Kennedy"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 11, 2013.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Isn't it pretty well established beyond a reasonable doubt he did murder officer JD Tippet, at the very least?

And thanks for the clarification on the SS agent's gun.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

What Dick, then Evil, said.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Uh, no. In fact, there was eyewitnesses to the murder that described the Tippet murder as bearing no resemblance to Oswald.

I'm with Gooch on this--I don't think Oswald had anything to do with the shooting. I don't think he fired a gun that day at all. And I believe they did paraffin tests on Oswald that showed as such.

And to the comments suggesting Oswald was a sniper or marksmen--his military scores were average at best.

Unfortunately, we will never truly know the truth on who shot Kennedy. In my view, the greatest unsolved crime of our time.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're wrong. The paraffin test performed on Oswald was positive for his hand and negative for his cheek. The residue was likely from shooting Tippet.

Lee Harvey Oswald shot the President from the 6th Floor of the Texas School Book Depository, and he acted alone.

5. Dick Whitman

I don't think this is true. People testified that he was above average. And, as I understand it, the shot on Kennedy was relatively easy even for amateurs.

6. Captain_Kirk

Nothing I've ever read indicated that. He was average at best. I thought that kind of commentary came from reviewing his military records or interviews of his military companions, but I could be wrong there

And why not take the easier shot when he's in spitting distance and the car is going the slowest making the turn from Houston.

And no paraffin on the cheek--likely no rifle shot.

7. Captain_Kirk

To the Oswald alone crowd, do you think he was truly just a the lone nut citizen assassin, or do you acknowledge he may have had intelligence community ties in his past?

At the height of the Cold War, just a few years beyond the McCarthy communist witch hunts, there's nothing skeptical about a US citizen renouncing his citizenship to move to the USSR, and then just as easily reverse course to come back to the good ol' USA?

8. Dick Whitman

That's not true. The people asked to take the paraffin cheek examination were surprised they had to do it. They'd never had to do it before, because residue doesn't settle in one's cheek. It's a myth.

9. Captain_Kirk

Well, Dick, you're welcome to disagree, but it's hardly a myth.

10. Dick Whitman

FBI expert before the Warren Commission:

EISENBERG: A paraffin test was also run of Oswald's cheek and it produced a negative result.

CUNNINGHAM: Yes.

EISENBERG: Do your tests, or do the tests which you ran, or your experience with revolvers and rifles, cast any light on the significance of a negative result being obtained on the right cheek?

CUNNINGHAM: No, sir; I personally wouldn’t expect to find any residues on a person's right cheek after firing a rifle due to the fact that by the very principles and the manufacture and the action, the cartridge itself is sealed into the chamber by the bolt being closed behind it, and upon firing the case, the cartridge case expands into the chamber filling it up and sealing it off from the gases, so none will come back in your face, and so by its very nature, I would not expect to find residue on the right cheek of a shooter.

11. Captain_Kirk

Please. The Warren Commission as a reference? That's certainly a nice impartial view of things.

Take a look throughout the internets--there's plenty of references that counter that statement--that you can find residue on a cheek from a rifle shot.

12. Dick Whitman

Find me one.

Draft saved Draft deleted