1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Killing Kennedy"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 11, 2013.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

https://zolabooks.com/book/the-accidental-victim/overview

I saw a mention of this book the other day and the theory that Oswald was aiming to knock off Connally and accidentally shot JFK is interesting. I might have to pick this book up.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The Secret Service agent allegedly fired an AR-15 which had only recently been given to Secret Service, and he was usually the driver and not the sniper in the car (he was asked to take over moments before the car left, because the usual sniper was too hung over).

As for getting 3 shots off in 6 seconds...in the early 70s, CBS did a re-enactment with the leading snipers and forensics experts of the day, and only one of them was able to pull off the feat, using the crappy Italian rifle Oswald used. And he only did it on his third attempt.

And it's that forensics expert who went on to do the research that lead to the writing of Mortal Error.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It wasn't a handgun. The guy had an early model AR15, still just .223 but obviously works well as an assault rifle.

*just beat me to it

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I read a debunking of this in Vincent Bugliosi's book and he wrote something along the lines of Oswald only needing something like 8.5 seconds to fire two shots (you don't start the clock until after the first shot is fired). It was completely doable from that standpoint.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The idea that the kill shot came from another car in the motorcade is just so ludicrous. An accidental shot because the car lurched? Sorry, but that would have caused the agent to shoot well into the air. We're supposed to believe that while Marine sniper couldn't hit his target and the job was done by an accident caused by a car lurch -- and no one lining both sides of the street noticed the assault rifle going off just feet way from them. Please.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I agree with this. The coincidence of a sniper's work synching up with a crazy mishap, just so? Outlandish odds against that.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"You must have hit a bump or something."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Skeptic" magazine, one of the consistently best reads every month, recently had a special on the assassination in which they pretty much debunked one theory after another.

Guys, here is what happened:

Lee Harvey Oswald shot John F. Kennedy from the Texas School Book Depository. He acted alone.

9. Well yeah, but you can't sell any books or TV specials using that school of thought.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Ellroy wouldn't like your use of a comma.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Oswald said he didn't shoot anyone. I don't think he did.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

According to Jay Glazer, Kennedy threatened to murder Oswald's whole fucking family.

Draft saved Draft deleted