1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Killing Kennedy"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Nov 11, 2013.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Anyone catch this on National Geographic? I'm just now getting to watch it.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

"Based on a story by Bill O'Reilly"?

Pass.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

I read O'Reilly's book because I was curious and have read a lot (at least 30 books, including the summary of the Warren Commission report) about the JFK assassination.

Very little of the book actually deals with the assassination. It is pretty standard, although he ackowledges there are other theories but doesn't comment on them.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

booooooring, wake me up for 'Killing Garfield'

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I caught the first half, then went to bed. It was OK.

What I found more interesting earlier in the evening was a show based on the book Mortal Error, theorizing that the head shot actually came from the Secret Service follow car. The car lurched, causing a guy to accidentally squeeze off a round and hit the president. The author doesn't claim anyone was in on it; it was an accident. He does call attention to the SS knowing what happened, thus the quick escape from Dallas, questionable autopsy, etc.

The way everything is outlined in the story, it gives a whole lot of credence to the Oswald lone nut theory. Oswald actually only got off two shots, not three, which is doable in the time frame. One of the three spent shell casings was already in the rifle and discharged when Oswald loaded. He puts to rest the magic bullet theory, showing how Kennedy and Connally were actually positioned to allow one shot to do all the damage without zig zagging and changing course. Kennedy would have likely been dead from the hit, so the head shot just mad a bad day worse for the SS.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Check's in the mail.

The show's called JFK: The Smoking Gun. It airs on ReelzChannel (DirecTV channel 238, etc. etc.).

I'm sorta involved with it, but I found it to be a pretty dang solid explanation of the day's events.

For more about it, go here:

https://www.facebook.com/ReelzChannel

Click on the small box at the top that says "Watch the trailer."

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I read American Tabloid this summer, I know the real story

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Only commies and flag burners question the efficiency of rifle training by the United States Marines.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I read the O'Reilly book based upon a friend's recommendation of the Lincoln book.

My assessment: It's not bad. It's definitely not what you think.

It's essentially a Kennedy for Dummies book, written in a narrative fashion. O'Reilly had a co-author, so I wonder how much of it he actually wrote himself, and how much a ghost writer just carried out his vision.

Jill Abramson recently wrote a piece in which she torched basically every Kennedy book ever written. The only quibble she made with O'Reilly's book was with his simplistic prose.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, Bill O is to historical fiction as E.L. James is to erotica.

Meh.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Pete Bondurant knows the truth, too.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I admit I know next-to-nothing about ballistics. But can a .22 caliber bullet fired from a service revolver (assuming that's what the Secret Service used, pretty standard-issue equipment for law enforcement in that era, I think) wreak that much havoc on a person's head? From what I have always heard on TV cop shows, .22 bullets cause so much damage on head shots because they often don't exit the skull and instead rattle around and destroy the brain. Again, I willingly admit my ignorance on this topic.

And Oswald didn't need to fire 3 shots within 5.8 seconds, or whatever. The clock didn't start until the first shot had been fired. Getting two subsequent shots off in nearly six seconds is no big feat for an ex-Marine.

Draft saved Draft deleted