1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killer Knot In My Shoulder — Help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I have never experienced pain and inconvenience like this in my life.

About five days ago a knot developed in my shoulder — to the inside of my shoulder blade and below the neck.

It's awful. It's the worst when I'm at my desk(s) — home and work.

It goes away when I go for a walk. But it's right back whenever I sit down, even on the couch or chair in the living room. Tonight at work, I walked across the newsroom to get some water, when I came back and sat down, the pain shot right into the same spot.

The only two things that remedy it are a hot shower and heating pad. I tried muscle relaxers, and they worked for a day.

Any suggestions? This is brutal.

Thanks.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That sounds like a knot I get from time to time. Massages help the most, but the two following things help some, too:

1. Sit on a couch or a chair with a back that is tall and sturdy. Place a tennis ball between the couch/chair and where your knot is and lean into the tennis ball. Assuming it doesn't hurt too badly, try to roll the ball around a little to help loosen the knot.

2. This is more helpful for prevention, but is a good stretch to help loosen the knot. Stand about 6-9 inches in front of a doorway. Place your hands, at chest height, on either side of the door frame and lean your torso into the doorway.

Good luck!

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm trying all that Dyno.

I've never had this before. It's awful.

I wonder if it has something to do with me
    A) wrenching my shoulder awkwardly when I was playing with my daughter
    B) picking up my daughter more lately (I was off for about four weeks and spent lots of time with her)

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Mine comes from stress...

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Get some Hot Damn in you, grab a knife and hack that sumbitch up. </chef>

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Can also be symptomatic of dehydration. Drink water ... lots of it.

And every 20 minutes or so, while you're at your desk, stretch it out. Try to make it a habit, it's good for you.

Pushups are good for it, too. Just drop and give yourself 20.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Call Chef. He'll know what to do...

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Massaging it can help, but it also can make it worse. So be careful how much you rely on that option.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You wonder?

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Fall down in a puddle of water and break your leg, that will keep your mind off of the knot.

Edit: Sorry 93, it had to be done.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I used to get this all the time. Not so much now because I have a different chair/posture at my latest job. Of course, when it got pretty bad, I'd just have someone punch it really hard and that seemed to loosen it up for a while. Probably not the best advice, though.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If it's lasted five days, if you can afford it at all (and maybe even if not) hie thee to a doctor -- this can be symptomatic of a blood clot problem (I seem to recall this was the first sign of trouble with J.R. Richard).

Most likely it isn't, but better safe than sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted