1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killeen Sports Editor - Let me hear it!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GandyCreampie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. highlander

highlander Member

Don't forget about the local race track on Saturday night. It's a great place to go and you don't have to do desk work.

2. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

It's a combination of things, beginning with clueless ownership. The owner came into the business due to the death of her husband. She has no journalism background and has no idea how to make the business work.
    So, she has entrusted the Business Manager to handle all of that. Unfortunately, he is the BM from hell. This a-hole thinks nothing of firing people and takes pride in enticing those on his shit list to "fire themselves" (that's a direct quote).
    Beyond that, a heavy workload with low pay drives plenty of people to quit on their own.
    I wouldn't call it "micromanaging" as much as I'd call it a combination of ineptitude, cheapness and callousness. Upper management there simply doesn't understand what it takes for its workers to get the job done properly, and it doesn't care when employee frustration bubbles over enough to inspire people to quit.
    A lot of very good people have either lost their jobs in Killeen, were invited to leave, or simply got out while their sanity was still intact.
    Actually, I'd like to see about 20-30 of the former employees band together, go to the owner and tell her their side of things. At least then she'd know what's going on over there. Right now, she's totally oblivious to it, and I'm sure the BM would love to keep her that way.
    Frankly, if I had the money to buy the Killeen paper, my first step in turning it around would be to terminate the existing Business Manager.
    I'd fire his ass in a New York minute. I would then replace him with the first of two Managing Editors whom he fired (poetic justice).
    I hope that answers your question.

3. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Yeah, it does. Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted