1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killeen Sports Editor - Let me hear it!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GandyCreampie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Props for keepin' it real, Cactus.

2. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

What about someone who has been an SE in the past and is at an afternoon paper shutting down in two months who desperately wants to stay in journalism (for some reason he doesn't fully understand sometimes)?

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

you're hired

4. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

How about someone suffering from bipolarism?

5. So, in other words, she's the female Otis Brumby? :eek:

Seriously, this shop sounds A LOT like the Marietta Daily Journal from its descriptions.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Honestly, I'm amazed at how many bipolar people I have met in this industry. :)

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Ah, this post brings back memories. I was stationed at Fort Hood four years and spent the last two stringing for the KDH, covering high school football and hoops and Mary Hardin-Baylor basketball and baseball.

If you are allergic to folks in military uniform, you won't like it here. Killeen is pretty much the pits for living, and there is a stretch of 190 between Killeen and Temple that is a blatnat speed trap. I and a couple buddies bought a house in Copperas Cove just to get some berahting room, but caution there---when they say "cove," there ain't no large lakes or sailboats there.

8. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Cactus,

In your opinion, are they micro-micro-managing there, or is it that the managers having to deal with the owner or why is there so much high turnover there.

I was in Copperas Cove back in 2005 for the Heart of Texas Bowl game and thought the paper looked nice and have actually thought I would like to try for the job (don't worry...I've seen enough red flags from this job opening post and before).

I mean, it's sound frustrating because with Fort Hood there and everything (Austin, Waco and San Antonio not far away), you would think this place would be a sweet job.

9. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I just heard they laid off a sports writer there as well. Miller is still there as SE, but now they are basically a 4-person crew and Miller doesn't do any writing, so they have three writers to cover a crapload of stuff (They have 4 in city high schools and Copperas Cove which all demand equal coverage).

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

They are a 4-person crew? How big is this newspaper? I ask because I work at a 40-45K newspaper with a Division I university in town and a BCS school 45 minutes down the road. And we're a staff of five. That basically leaves us three people to cover the D-I university, 8 city schools and approximately 30 more schools in the vicinity (15-20 miles max).

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

18808 daily; 24514 Sunday.

Yeah 4 person. They concentrate on high schools.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That's really impressive for a paper that size. I wonder how long their staff stays that big.

Of course, I could be way off. My sampling consists of the papers at which I've worked and they've all been severely understaffed. Maybe Killeen is properly staffed.

Draft saved Draft deleted