1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Killeen Sports Editor - Let me hear it!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GandyCreampie, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Baylor doesn't count as a real college.But Austin isn't much further than Waco.

If you were the SE and had the freedom to shape coverage, you could do some stuff.

As someone pointed out, the military base is the hub of the economy. If the military cuts back, the town will suffer.

2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

FWIW, the TV station was either just sold or is about to be sold to a group out of Dallas.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Okay, apparently this is another case of the Killeen upper management going a bit crazy.

From what I have heard (and this is third hand information), Miller, the current SE, is still there. Not planning on going anywhere, hasn't talked to the managers about leaving/reassignment/whatever.
    This is the second time they have posted this job in the past five years with him still there (there's an old thread around somewhere with some details on the first time).
    Apparently they want him to go, but don't have the guts to just fire him...especially since they can't give a good reason. Miller is doing his job, and does what management asks him.
    So who knows what is going to happen here. Who knows if they are going to actually hire someone. But if they do I'd hate to be that guy knowing what Miller has gone through.

Be warned and apply at your own risk.

4. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

$28,000 is pretty lame.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ft. Hood is one of the largest installations out there, regardless of branch. I don't know how they handle hiring, but I'd imagine there'd be some opportunity to do some work for the Army Times.

More than 30,000 people stationed there live ON post. That doesn't count those who live of post. Home to two divisions and one corps. Lots of folks there. Hood won't be affected by cutbacks anytime soon. We're in the middle of two wars.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Preps is the main thrust of this section.
    They had good RBs at high schools in Killeen and nearby Copperas Cove in recent seasons.
    Both are D-I studs.

The drive to Austin is about 1 1/4 hours. Don't know how often you'd get sent.

7. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Whatever happened to Doug Mitchell, who worked there years ago? Or was it Kerrville? I get them confused.

8. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Miller is still there, and this IS another case of clueless upper management. This place has a higher turnover rate than a friggin' carwash -- and the pay is about the same.
    For any of you considering this mistake, let me assure you of two things: First, you'll either quit or be fired within two years of getting there. Secondly, you're about to become a TV dinner connoisseur.
    The pay rate at this place simply doesn't match the extraordinary workload you'll be given. Nor does the shoddy computer software you'll be using to get it all done.
    I've never met anyone who left this place happy, and you won't either.
    Don't say you weren't warned.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

And most of your meaningful copy will come from preps.
    Get ready for it.
    This will be a good fit for somebody. Probably just out of school.
    Can't be all bad.

10. highlander

highlander Member

Do you really think they are going to hire sports editor just out of school?

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Doug Mitchell was in Kerrville, where he got the shit from the Schmidts, supposedly.

12. Cactushead

Cactushead New Member

Wanna bet?
    They've run off two ME's in the last 3 1/2 years, they've lost more than 20 people from the news side in the last three (a couple of them walked out without notice). They've advertised for the Sports Editor position twice (even though Miller is still there). They've fired at least two sportswriters (five others quit) and almost all of their award-winning writers have moved on.
    The pay is low, the work load is huge, and the upper management is detached, paranoid and quick to terminate those who find themselves on the shit list. There is no way they'd give this SE position to a recent college grad. Even so, there are much better places for someone who is just out of college to start -- like a 7-Eleven.

Draft saved Draft deleted