1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: Quentin Tarantino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm in line with what Norrin wrote and what Versatile wrote. I don't think Inglorious Basterds or Django Unchained can hold a candle to Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill, but he's still a fascinating filmmaker, and an average Tarantino film is still worth the price of admission over most other director's best efforts.

He may make bloated, flawed films, but they're interesting bloated, flawed films.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Death Proof was definitely better than Planet Terror, but it was still a mess. Great set-up in its first half, but once they devoted seemingly 10 minutes to Zoe Bell surfing on a car hood, it got fucking ponderous.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To make a sports journalism analogy on a sports journalism board, watching a Tarantino movie is like reading a Charles P. Pierce feature. You know what you're getting. The voice will be very distinct. Some things will be overwrought. But if you generally like his work, you probably will like it.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Tarantino fellates Obama? :D

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

If you think Pierce fellates Obama, you haven't read him in the last five years.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was joking... It was a bad joke... My apologies...

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Sorry. Sore spot with me. Pierce actually goes out of his way to overly criticize Obama. Unfairly, sometimes, in my view.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I rarely think it's unfair. I think he holds the President to a very high standard, and sometimes the President falls way short of that, and I like that one of our strongest liberal voices is willing to criticize him with such vigor. When we have conservative columnists admitting after the fact they couldn't stand McCain or Romney but felt it was necessary to "advocate" for them as part of the cause, that shows the difference in intellectual honesty between them and Pierce. I mean, shit, Charlie wrote a column stating he was going to vote for the Green Party candidate until she said something straight of left field Crazyville that even he couldn't get behind.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

To me, idealism is both admirable and frustrating. Charlie is an idealist during a period in which only pragmatism seems possible. He wants Bob LaFollette in the White House. Not sure that's possible anymore. Doesn't make me think any less of him as a writer; it's just how I feel.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Never could have worked for a black guy. He has it bad enough as it is.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anyway, back to QT.

Basterds has some lovely set pieces, but I fail to see why it's viewed on the same level as Pulp Fiction, or even Dogs. It's a lovely, messy, disjointed, violent film that I'm not sure even knows what it's try to say.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Who said it is?

And why does it have to say something? It's a fun, enjoyable, smart movie. In that way, Django Unchained was sort of the better version of Inglourious Basterds.

Draft saved Draft deleted