1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: Quentin Tarantino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think Tarantino does better when he focuses on telling a story rather than making a "Tarantino" film.

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction had great stories that gave us great characters. His use of music and style of story telling is more organic and does not come across as forced. It was not hard for me to suspend my disbelief for either of these movies.

I may be in the minority but I thought Jackie Brown was great for the same reasons, just really good story telling.

I find with Kill Bill and Deathproof that he was in wrestling terms, marking out for himself. It seems he set out to make a Tarantino movie instead of telling a great story. That being said I enjoyed Kill Bill but thought Deathproof was the shits.

Inglorious Basterds was fantastic except for the already mentioned crappy casting of Roth, should've kept his involvement to the making of the heroic movie of the German soldier.

I had mentioned on the movie thread that I liked Django but have no desire to see it again. I think it is one of the movies that could be in the movies that did not live up to their potential thread. There were so many good parts, if he focused more on the story telling and worried less about stunt casting in cameos I think the movie would have been a lot better.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Kill Bill is a sensory masterpiece that actually eschews many Tarantino staples.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Except the foot fetish.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Generally like Tarantino, but wonder sometimes if his art and career arc aren't themselves models of postmodernism in miniature. Devotion becomes homage becomes pastiche becomes self-parody.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Pretty much love everything QT has done. Personal favorites are Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but Basterds is not far behind that group.

I also really enjoyed From Dusk til Dawn and Four Rooms had great storytelling.

I agree that he is a terrible actor, with the exception of his role in Pulp Fiction, which I thought worked.

I haven't seen Django yet (damn work schedule), but I will, and I'll probably enjoy it. Not many films he's made that I haven't enjoyed.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Tarantino has a much higher slugging percentage than Paul Thomas Anderson, even if their batting averages are similar.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes, my opinion is an opinion.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"I wish I had a pot."
    "You wish you had some pot?"

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Eh, I never understood his appeal to white kids.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were classics but then he went off the rails. He started doing homage pics, like GNR following up Illusion with an album of cover songs only QT did it for an entire decade. He liked blacksploitation pics so he did Jackie Brown. He liked kung fu so he did Kill Bill. He liked the old grindhouse movies so he and Rodriguez did a double feature.
    But with Basterds he was back and with Django he was even better. Rumor has it he wants to do a third revenge movie and I look forward to the effort.
    As to directors with a better batting average I've always felt the Coens had the career everyone thought QT would have. More prolific so of course they will have some slip ups, but far more good than bad and every one you see you know it just has that Coen feel to it.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To say the Coen brothers have a higher batting average than Tarantino is not only to say you liked Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers and Burn After Reading and Gambit, but also to say you liked those movies more than Kill Bill and Jackie Brown and Death Proof, which was substantially better than Rich Rodriguez's Planet Terror.

Draft saved Draft deleted