1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: Quentin Tarantino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Young auteur has a great debut with Reservoir Dogs, displaying a flair not just for dialogue, but also filmmaker (unlike, say, Kevin Smith). Pulp Fiction changed the rules of moviemaking, opened up a modern audience for non-linear storytelling and a different approach to a soundtrack.

Jackie Brown maybe was a bit of a snore (even if Del Amo is The Greatest Mall Ever!), more of a straightforward film.

Six years later, Kill Bill, advertised loudly as "The FOURTH film by Quentin Tarantino!" I regard it as one film, and his masterpiece. The ultimate exemplar of his homages (derivative work), interesting use of music (mining the same vein for every film), interesting dialogue (often worthless banter), and well-choreographed chaos (wanton violence).

Grindhouse was OK for what it was, but it wasn't special. Inglorious Basterds was good, but it was clear now that Tarantino was using his established formula as a crutch. Suddenly, I no longer wanted the soundtracks every time he made a movie. I no longer came away thinking I had seen a bunch of disparate influences distilled into something that had a uniqueness to it. With overwrought characters like Pitt's guy and certain "That's a BINGO!!!" lines, it felt like he was deliberately trying to be crowd pleasing instead of trusting the material. He seemed to be beholden to what we expect, rather than what he thought would be creative.

Haven't seen Django yet, but hear it's great. But years ago, I see a tarantino flick on opening day, regardless of how busy I am. The trailers for this one look like a director who is now trying too hard.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Positive: I've enjoyed each of his movies I've seen.

Negatives: Creepy foot fetish, giant head, horrible acting in parts in which he cast himself.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Django Unchained was one of the three movies to get me to a theater in 2012. He still has the power over me. And it's great. And it's not much at all like his previous work, aside from a few nods toward Inglourious Basterds thanks to Christoph Waltz's tremendousness.

Also, I think his acting works in Pulp Fiction.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

His acting works just well enough to not make him the worst actor in the movie (That would be Maria de Medeiros).

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fabienne is one of my favorite small roles in movie history. That's ridiculous. The worst actor in Pulp Fiction is the redneck cop.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Always wondered if she was a joke they played.

"Hey, Bruce, you're married to Demi Moore . . . now act like this one's attractive!!!!"

He probably thought he was being Punk'd.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Peter Greene (Zed)?

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Inglorious Basterds -- except for casting Roth -- is perfect.

I enjoyed Django but the difference between it and Basterds is that QT took 10 years to write Basterds, and he never would have made it without Waltz agreeing to play Landa. He wanted Django to be the same "revenge" thing but he just rushed everything.

Love Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Death Proof.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't know anything about the actor, but I always thought he was weak in the part.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're crazy. Maria de Medeiros has a really interesting look.
    She was very attractive in that movie.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm not sure your wife would appreciate you giving oral pleasure to another woman, Penisote.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm trying to think if there is another director who has a better batting average... Fincher maybe?

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are classics.

Django and Basterds aren't far behind...

I loved the first Kill Bill, thought the second one wasn't as good.

My only complaint about Jackie Brown was that he made some odd choices with one of my favorite books...

Grindhouse is exactly what it's supposed to be. I didn't particularly care for it, but I think the expectations go up several notches when you know Tarantino is directing...

I even loved his segment in Four Rooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted