1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: "It Takes a Nation of Millions"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We need more Chuck D., less Flava Flav in the world.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's because there are people who prefer music you've never heard of.

I'm guessing six of these seven:

Massive Attack, Blue Lines
    Souls of Mischief, 93 'til Infinity
    Tricky, Maxinquaye
    DJ Shadow, Endtroducing ...
    Company Flow, Funcrusher Plus
    Aesop Rock, Labor Days
    Madvillain, Madvillainy

But I'm pretty sure your choice would be The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill or All Eyez on Me, right?

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oops, seven. I missed the Company Flow one.

And no. I don't even really consider Miseducation a rap album.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's like half rap. So what would be your favorite rap album?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Are we talking favorite? Or best? Two different questions.

I'd have to think about both. I have never really listened to "albums." I'm a singles girl. I don't listen to non-released songs by many people, and I'm not sure I've heard the entire album of more than about 5 or 6 on your list.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You missed one.

1984-ish
    [​IMG]

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Massive Attack: music to sit on my deck on a summer night and chill with a 40 and some herb.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have never understood why Chuck D, probably the smartest, world-aware rapper of his generation, threw his lot in with Flavor Flav.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Flavor Flav was crucial to Public Enemy's formula. Without him, the music turns to Chuck D yelling at everyone about why they should be angry. "Cold Lampin' with Flavor" and "911 is a Joke" are almost as defining to Public Enemy's legacy as "Bring the Noise" and "Fight the Power."

Without Flavor Flav, Public Enemy is a niche group that takes itself way too seriously. Have you heard of Kam? How many Dead Prez albums made Rolling Stone's 500 greatest list?

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I'm with Songbird on this one. Without Rakim, we might not have Nas, Jay-Z, Tupac or Biggie. He changed the genre. And, sure, Jay-Z has had more commercial success, but he still can't touch Rakim lyrically. The God MC's most recent solo album put his lyrical genius on display again. Check out "How to Emcee" from 2:47 to 3:30.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't buy that. Someone would have come around and encouraged a less animated, more complex delivery. I give credit to Rakim for being the one to do it. His influence is tremendous, but how important was Jay-Z in bridging the gap between respected rap and the mainstream?

Rakim is Chuck Berry. Jay-Z is The Beatles.

Also, this may be the first time in my life I've been on the other side of Rakim on an argument. I would probably put him second or third, along with Nas, behind Jay-Z, on the list of the greatest rappers ever.

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Where do you rank Rakim, then, as far as greatest emcees ever? If we eliminate impact on the genre on Rakim's side, we should eliminate commercial crossover on Jay-Z's side. That leaves us with who's better as a lyricist, and I have Rakim topping that list every time. I'd put Jay-Z somewhere in the top 10. I'm always interested in this discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted