1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: "It Takes a Nation of Millions"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Calling Rakim the best rapper ever made sense in 1995. At this point, you're ignoring 20-plus years of development. Rakim was incredibly important within the context of his brief era. "Casualties of War" and "The Punisher" are good examples of an exceptional, iconic figure not understanding his genre's movements.

And Straight Outta Compton is by far the most overrated rap album ever. "If It Ain't Ruff," "Something Like That," "I Ain't tha 1" and "Quiet on tha Set" are such fillers. There are a handful (five, by my count: "Straight Outta Compton," "Fuck tha Police," "Gangsta Gangsta," "Parental Discretion Iz Advised" and "Express Yourself") of great songs, sure. But I would take each of Ice Cube's first three solo albums over Straight Outta Compton for their sonic innovations (again, the Bomb Squad was way ahead of its time) and consistency.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Chronic better than Straight Outta Compton, there is filler on it, no question about it, but probably at least four "classics" as well.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Chronic is miles better than Straight Outta Compton. Every track is great. I don't know what you'd call filler. Certainly nothing sinks as low as the MC Ren solo tracks on Straight Outta Compton.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Master came out in '99 or 2000 and while Rakim's style slowed down a bit he was still dynamic.

What rapper since, let's say 2000, would be in the same stratosphere as Rakim at his height?

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Jay-Z. And The Master was uneven, with a handful of great songs but mostly a bunch of filler.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Chuck D had the best rap voice of all-time. I mean that literally and with what he said.

By Time I Get To Arizona was in major rotation on MTV at the time. Different times.

7. Songbird

I'll accept your Jay-Z answer but if I'm pitting Jay-Z against Rakim, I'm taking Rakim 7 ways till Sunday and that's not a knock against Jay-Z.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's perfectly understandable as a preference. It's silly if using the term "greatest." Rakim failed to adjust to new standards and never successfully crossed over (despite several attempts throughout the 1990s).

9. Songbird

I'm not sure I get that. What new standards? (Serious question).

People name Biggie as this great rapper but I just saw him as a mushy mouth. Barely understood him which is why I always gravitated to the guys who enunciated: Chuck D, KRS-1, Rakim, Ice T.

Link something from the last, oh, 8-10 years, to give me an example of what you're talking about.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I mean, your tastes skew old school. That's fine, even appreciated. But by the same logic, one could say Ty Cobb was the greatest baseball player ever. He did what he did better than anyone else before or after, right?

Listing Jay-Z tracks seems asinine, but
    . He has been the biggest, most respected and most celebrated rapper for close to 15 years now. He has three unquestionable classics and four or five other very good albums. His résumé is unmatched.

Beats and topics have become more complicated. Rakim was the first to push rhyme schemes into the 1990s, and his contributions were as important as any group or rapper from the 1980s. He played a big role in modernizing the genre. But as he tried to keep up, putting out tracks like "What's on Your Mind," he struggled. We all wanted Rakim to stay 1980s Rakim, mostly because he wasn't any good at handling bigger beats and more varied topics. His two biggest hits in the 1990s were "Don't Sweat the Technique" and "Let the Rhythm Hit'em," which both directly drew on his 1980s style.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was thinking about the best rap album ever debate. Here are the albums, listed by year, that are most often mentioned in this debate:

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, The Message

Run-DMC, Run-DMC

LL Cool J, Radio

Run-DMC, Raising Hell
    Beastie Boys, Licensed to Ill

Eric B. & Rakim, Paid in Full
    Boogie Down Productions, Criminal Minded

Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
    N.W.A., Straight Outta Compton
    EPMD, Strictly Business
    Slick Rick, The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
    Boogie Down Productions, By All Means Necessary

De La Soul, 3 Feet High & Rising
    Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique

Ice Cube, AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
    Public Enemy, Fear of a Black Planet

A Tribe Called Quest, The Low End Theory
    Massive Attack, Blue Lines

Dr. Dre, The Chronic
    Gang Starr, Daily Operation
    The Pharcyde, Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde
    Arrested Development, 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life of ...

Wu-Tang Clan, Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers
    Snoop Doggy Dogg, DoggyStyle
    Souls of Mischief, 93 'til Infinity

Nas, Illmatic
    Notorious B.I.G., Ready to Die

Common Sense, Resurrection

2Pac, Me Against the World
    Raekwon, Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
    GZA, Liquid Swords
    Tricky, Maxinquaye

2Pac, All Eyez on Me
    Fugees, The Score
    Jay-Z, Reasonable Doubt
    DJ Shadow, Endtroducing ...

Company Flow, Funcrusher Plus

Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
    OutKast, Aquemini

Mos Def, Black on Both Sides
    Eminem, The Slim Shady LP
    The Roots, Things Fall Apart

Eminem, The Marshall Mathers LP
    OutKast, Stankonia
    Ghostface Killah, Supreme Clientele

Jay-Z, The Blueprint
    Aesop Rock, Labor Days

Jay-Z, The Black Album

Madvillain, Madvillainy
    Kanye West, College Dropout

Kanye West, Late Registration

Kanye West, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The ones in italics are the front-runners. Keep in mind that these aren't my favorite albums, and in some cases I don't even much care for the album in question. But you could almost guarantee that a respectable list of the greatest rap albums ever will have one of those albums at the top, probably several. Which one would tell you a lot about the preferences of the list-maker.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

There are six albums on that list I've never heard of. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted