1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: Eddie Murphy Delirious

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 12, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I don't hold it against comedians who in their 20s talked about the New York Niggers but once they have kids they look for different rolls.

Crack a lakin.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Recognize the voice?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Mizzou, if Eddie Murphy even dreams that he is funner that the late great Richard Pryor, he should wake up and slap himself. Eddie benefited greatly from Richard Pryor's success and failures as a comedian. He is good. Rich was better.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those were among the ones I was thinking of. There's also a bit on how shell shock became post-traumatic stress disorder, though that one is more smart than funny.

The use and misuse of language made up a huge part of Carlin's humor, especially his lampooning of people who hide behind euphemisms. That's why I rolled my eyes at Versatile's response to Carlin. At his best, Carlin was very focused on his idea of the proper use of language, pretty much the opposite of a guy who would think just cursing for its own sake was funny.

(Though I admit, I did laugh at parts of his extended list of dirty words during the credits of the "Carlin at Carnegie" HBO special. To be fair, I was only 12 or 13 when I first saw it.)

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"Rich"?

::)

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Carlin's most famous bit, of course, "Seven Dirty Words," went all the way to the Supreme Court a decade after Lenny Bruce was arrested for obscenity. Might seem like he's cursing for cursing's sake now, but it sure wasn't at the time.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sam Kinison should be listed here.

Early stuff.

8. You can't just do no curse show. Like you can't come out and say, "Mother fucker, pussy, dick, shit, and bitch. Good night! Suck my dick! Good night!"

Delirious is the funniest stand-up routine I've ever seen. Raw is a fairly close second.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

I just think it's hilarious that, in "Raw," Murphy ripped Bill Cosby a new asshole, then became almost as ubiquitous as Cosby in terms of family-friendly entertainment.

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

"I would like to talk to youuuuuu..."

Kills me every time.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Jello-puddin'-eatin' motherfucker!"

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

"Filth flarn flarn filth."

Draft saved Draft deleted