1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: Eddie Murphy Delirious

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Norbit?

I think he and Charlie co-wrote that.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He wrote Harlem Knights, too, but I assume Versatile was talking about Murphy's stand-up.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Bill Hicks didn't sell out. He just died.

4. Ice Cube says No.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I loved it then and I love it now. Lines from that special are still quoted today in my circle of friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have old friends who still say "Goonie goo goo" to each other.

Delirious and Raw were the first two VCR tapes I bought. And I wore those mofos out.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Lenny Bruce does not pale in comparison to anyone.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Richard Pryor and George Carlin don't do it for me. They seem so dated. I have listened to and very much enjoyed a lot of old stand up: Lenny Bruce, Eddie Murphy, Jerry Seinfeld, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Hicks, etc. Those guys all stand up. Bruce, in particular, blows Carlin away despite being even older. Carlin has this energy that always makes me think of Gallagher.

And sorry but cursing by itself is not funny.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Carlin did some really smart stuff that holds up well. He had a precision in his writing, language and delivery that was tremendous.

His "edgier" stuff doesn't hold up nearly as well, and his later stuff was just painful. "Here's why everything sucks." Eh.

Richard Pryor remains the gold standard for me.

Gallagher was on our morning show a few months ago. Gallagher is fucking crazy, and not in a good way.

10. Which Gallagher? The original?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Versatile's post makes me wonder what part of Carlin's career he saw. If he really thinks all Carlin did was curse, he has no clue what he's talking about.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. He dropped by between heart attacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted