1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill Your Idols: "Citizen Kane"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Nice catch. So does this prove that the film is just Kane's life flashing before his eyes as he lies on his deathbed? :)

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Some of the shots became iconic, and the use of the sets, the scale of them, as almost a character is great. I always think of 'Kane' when I watch 'The Shining.'

I haven't watched 'Kane' in a long time.

I certainly don't think the wife slapping was meant to convey the way people were or shake anyone's complacency about domesitc violence.
    It's meant to show Kane as a real rotten guy in a manner that is much more fundamental and visceral than some of his other bad acts.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Film is not my area of expertise by any means, but just want to say, great idea for a series of threads, Dick.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Can't wait for the Kill Your Idols: "Friends" edition.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Oh, it's coming! Me, shotty, Dick and Dooley just need to get our talking points ready.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is "Alf" a candidate?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know if it has been mentioned but there is a scene shift about two-thirds of the way through that is announced with a bird screeching. It is meant to awaken the audience (literally and figuratively) that the movie is entering the final act.

You see it/hear it in other movies as well - a loud phone ringing etc.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Can people who hate 'Friends' post on a thread entitled 'Kill Your Idols' once the topic switches to 'Friends'?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In the middle of watching it for the first time in a very long time.

This isn't meant as some bit of narcissism, at all, but JFC are there are some parallels between Kane's newspaper life as portrayed in this movie and my newspaper life, especially the Trenton days.

Not to mention the whole Songbird parallel vis-a-vis my appetite for everything BIG.

From the movie standpoint, this is as good as anything they make today.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Thanks!

I'm thinking one per month to start with. I already have one in mind for February.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's really interesting. I didn't think about it that way, but I'm going to really pay attention and see if I notice it in other movies - how they announce that the fourth quarter is starting, basically. Would make a great magazine or Grantland-type piece, actually. I wonder if anyone's ever done it.

Isn't the bird considered one of the few technical screw-ups in the movie? Something about his eye being see-through?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Movie Club Discussion Question:

Is 'Citizen Kane' drama? Or black comedy?

Draft saved Draft deleted